Merc Crusier alpha one 3.0 L NEED ADVICE !

I am buying a 1991 18' Mariah diablo with a merc cruiser alpha one 3.0 L. This boat has been winterized but not used for about 2 years. I am going to try and prep the engine before i try to start it. I have been told to hook the engine muffs up, add some fresh gas with octane boost, and change the oil and filter and it will be ready to go. Any suggestions or steps that I would still need to do ????? I am a rookie to I/O's so any info would be greatly appreciated !

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Merc Crusier alpha one 3.0 L NEED ADVICE !

at the top of the i/o forum is a thread called adults only. go to that thread and read the summerization thread. it has many to do items in it....

Schmoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The 3.0 is one tough engine. Pull the gas cap and take a sniff. If your smelling varnish, you may have trouble and I'd get that gas out first before adding anything. I let my boat sit for almost three years, but always but Stabil in it every year. Took it out last weekend and fired right up. Maybe you got lucky and they put stabil in it. If not, you got to clean the fuel tank, fuel lines, filters and may have to rebuild the carb. Getting varnish off the fuel touching surfaces is a lot of work and if you don't get it all, pieces of varnish will play havoc on your fuel systems and you'll always have problems when you least expect it. Have a good battery because your going to be cranking for awhile. Let the muffs run for a minute or two to help lubricate the water impellor on the outdrive and put the outdrive in the down position.

Bayliner1992

Seaman

Startron works best with the new etanol in the gas these days!:cool:

Fuel Additives and Treatments: Star Tron? Enzyme Fuel Treatment is a revolutionary new fuel additive using enzyme technology to enhance the performance of boats, automobiles, trucks, RVs, tractors, farm equipment, generators, lawn mowers, lawn equipment, oil burning furnaces and all other small engines.:)

IES99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am buying a 1991 18' Mariah diablo with a merc cruiser alpha one 3.0 L. This boat has been winterized but not used for about 2 years. I am going to try and prep the engine before i try to start it. I have been told to hook the engine muffs up, add some fresh gas with octane boost, and change the oil and filter and it will be ready to go. Any suggestions or steps that I would still need to do ????? I am a rookie to I/O's so any info would be greatly appreciated !

Always, always have water running to those muffs any time you start it. If it was correctly winterized with gas stabilizer my bet is that it will start right up.