Merc black max 150 prop question

SkeeterDuke15

Seaman
Boat is a 18' Skeeter ss140 with a 1980's black max 150 2stroke. The prop on it now is a precision propeller 24 pitch. I think it's 14" x24 pitch. I'm getting around 54 mph at 5k rpms with just me in the boat. Curious about if I should go down a pitch or two to get my rpms up to around 5500 and maybe a little more speed. Some reviews on the same motor with close to the same size boat say they can get into the 60's. Any tips would be great! Thanks!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Not going to get rpms up and speed up simultaneously without more ponies! We're never happy.....BTDT

For apples and apples you have start with the same mfgr. and same type/style of prop. Then you have to ask what is paramount? Engine at top of rpm range, normal load at WOT? Great hole shot forget the rest? Great hole shot and great top end? Stable cruising just above plane speed with the boat full of family/friends? Towing water toys with the boat full of family/friends?

SkeeterDuke15

Seaman
Good to know as I was curious. Went out today and hit 56mph which is just fine for me. Ha I didn't look down to see what my rpms were but I bet it was still close to 5k. Super smooth ride and I am getting to know my boat. As always this thread has helped out a lot! Thanks!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
If you "really" want to know scroll over to:http://www.go-fast.com/Prop_Slip_Calculator.htm. Plug in everything but what you want answered and it'll answer it for you. On prop slip, if you are doing good, 12-15% is a good number if you are looking for something else....usually you solve for slip and see how you are doing. If you are "really doing good" then expect to be in the single digits.....gear ratio is just the number, like if yours is 1.87:1 as some 150's are, just plug in 1.87, or 2 or 1.64.