Merc Alpha One developed a shudder.. any thoughts would be welcomed...

unixgeek13

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all...<br /><br />I have an '89 Regal with a 135hp Mercrusier engine and Alpha One outdrive.<br /><br />Just had it in the water for the past two weeks. When I first launched, I could not go into gear (forward or reverse) without stalling. Turned out that the lower shift cable wasn't moving as freely as it should. Worked that back and forth by hand and the situation improved dramatically. No more stalling, just a fairly smooth shift.<br /><br />but then!<br /><br />If I trim the drive too high or turn the wheel to the extreme right or left, I get a nasty shudder, and if in gear a near-total loss of control at slow speed (made docking an adventure in a tight marina!).<br /><br />After reading up on several past posts, I see a lot of talk about the gimbal bearing and/or u-joints. Would either of those be a good explanation for my issues? <br /><br />Incidentally, I have a new stainless prop (much heavier) on the drive, but it behaves the same even on muffs out of gear. Just trying to paint a thorough picture!<br /><br />Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to advise...<br /><br /><br />...unixgeek13...

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Merc Alpha One developed a shudder.. any thoughts would be welcomed...

Ayuh,..........<br /><br />I think you're on the Right Track,.........<br /><br />Pulling the drive will tell you All the Answers to your questions...............<br /><br />BTW,......... The Only Real Answer to a Sticky Lower Shift Cable is to Replace It....... It's just going to get Worse..........<br />And,....... After you've pulled the drive to Check on All the other Issues you've got,.......<br />You'll be 1/2 way There................ ;)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think you are about to find Very bad ujoints (about to explode) and probably water in the bellows.<br />Get that drive off and inspected before using it again. A little more and you are going to be seeing big $$$$ expenses

unixgeek13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don & Bondo..<br /><br />I'll consider myself lucky to have salvaged the vaca with a quick fix, and now I'll put in a little wrench-time and make it all happy. <br /><br />Thanks very much for confirming my thoughts.<br /><br />by the way... are u-joints engaged when in neutral? I wouldn't think so, but the vibration/shudder occurs also in neutral, on muffs on the trailer...<br /><br />i love my boat... i love my boat... i love my boat... i love my boat... i love my boat... i love my boat... i love my boat... i love my boat... i love my boat... i love my boat... i love my boat... enough to fix it right!<br /><br />thanks again gentlemen!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The ujoints, and gimbal bearing and the upper gears in the outdrive are turning any time the engine is running. The shifting is done in the lower unit of the drive.

unixgeek13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Follow-up....<br /><br />Turns out that water had been getting in through the bellows. Needed a gimbal bearing and a lower shift cable. About $600 poorer, but she's all better again!<br /><br />Thanks for the spot-on advice as usual!!<br /><br />...unixgeek13...

Bondo

Staff member

I Just Love a Happy Ending,............. ;) :D