Merc Alpha 1 shift slide removal

1970 Chieftain V

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I broke the shift slide while removing my out drive. Are there any tips to removing the slide for replacement? I have the shop manual (number 1)for this drive but I can't find anything on the shift slide.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Merc Alpha 1 shift slide removal

Should be under shift cable replacement,
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6A4R3.PDF
The link is not for your model but it`s similiar , you remove the plastic slide from inside the boat, pull the slide and cable out, remove the allen head screw , remove the core , replace the slide.

ziggy

Admiral

not much to it. follow the instructions in the service manual. if your not replacing your shift cable, you need to remove everything on the shift plate end till all thats left is the cable. the slide side. undo the wire on the allen set screw at the back of the shift slid. with that screw removed, you can access the end of the cable and pull the inner core wire out. put the cable through the new slide and push the cable back through.

if you've not replaced your cable or it don't move real freely. now might be the time to be on to it... it seems that most folks that have boats as old as ours end up with replacing the cable. i did..

btw, you sure got a cool boat.... i like it...

1970 Chieftain V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help! I wasn't sure if the inner core had to come out or not.

btw, you sure got a cool boat.... i like it...

Thanks!! I am kinda partial to it also.:)