Merc Alpha 1 3.0 Engine Block Crack - Picture.

jrbtech

Cadet
So I was looking over my boat tonight and found this. Looks like a repaired crack in my engine block. <br /><br />I will tell you this, the lady I bought it from said they got it new, and used it just a couple times. The motor runs like a champ, I've been working on motors for as long as I can remember, and when I started it up before I bought it, it sounded great. Still does sound great.<br /><br />What do you think?<br /><br />
crack.jpg

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Merc Alpha 1 3.0 Engine Block Crack - Picture.

I'm not suprised at all. They tend to crack externally as opposed to V motors that tend to crack internally. There is an excellent product called Marine Tex. That's the best epoxy repair I've come accross, although there are others that work okay too. The key is surface prep. It should be rough sanded or ground clean, epoxied, then painted. It can last many years. Eventually it'll start leaking again. So just grind it off and redo for several more years. :) <br /><br />I am uncomfortable about the sale however. I don't know who screwed-up, but somebody did. Maybe they sold it for that reason. I hate when people pull that! :mad: Looks like somebody goobered-up a mess for you to clean up. Make sure you have solid clean metal to epoxy to. No lime, no paint, no rust. You might have to remove the manifold to get at it decent.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Never saw one crack there, always high .like just under the head gasket area

jrbtech

Cadet

Yeah, I mean its kinda odd. Everything seems to run fine. I'll put some epoxy on when it gets a tad warmer. Kinda pissed. The lady was getting a divorce and sold me for a pretty good deal. Its a 17.5 foot Stingray. <br /><br />What causes the cracks?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The cracks are caused by freezing temperatures with water still in the engine. Usually from not being winterized properly.

Bondo

Staff member

Most every Freeze Broken 4cyl. Chevy power plant I've seen are Broken in That area, Or Exactly Opposite that point, On the Inside, into the Oil.........<br /><br />I've got a couple junkers in the wellhouse that Look Exactly Like That 1.........<br /><br />The Power of Ice is Amazing..........

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Frozen block ... divorce. Hmmmmmm ;)

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

ex husband left wife with boat=not winterized

horsefly38425

Petty Officer 1st Class

clean it up [grinder] to get the bubble gum off and down to clean cast iron. I used good ole JB weld,it's work fine so far! :) The ones that break inside not out :(

whywhyzed

Banned

my 3.0 was cracked in exact same spot- I never bothered fixing it, it barely dribbled moisture...

jrbtech

Cadet

Yeah, I'll see if it leaks at all in a few weeks.