Merc 9.8 wiring and timing

hunterope

Seaman
All, I've returned with another project motor. I've got an old merc 9.8 (1968). I tore the carb off and found what I was expecting - A MESS-. I also found that I've got a wire off of the distribution plate. It's the wire that come from the top of the motor(i believe it's the stator). It's black and wraps around from the left side accross the cylinder head over to the distribution block. Where do I put this on the distribution block from front of the motor to the back, I've got the screws labled 0-3. This wire moves when you increase the throttle. I don't want to chance shorting something out so I figured I'd ask.

I also need to get the impeller/carb rebuild/and fuel pump kit- My SN# is 2470866. do they still make these?

Third question - What is the timing supposed to be on this and how do I check it? I've not taken the flywheel off yet so I'll be making some marking to get it close again.. but again, better safe then sorry.

If you have any other tips or suggestions, lets hear em. I know I'm not the only crazy son of a gun out there working on these relics..

Thanks again and I look forward to your posts.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Merc 9.8 wiring and timing

A 68 has standard ign. so the wire goes from the pts. stud to the wire block to the kill switch. The impeller is available here on iboats parts.