Merc 9.8 Tilt-Lock, Shifter

Paleface

Cadet
Nice place you all got here. <br />Problem: <br />On Merc 9.8 o/b, 1984, there is a mechanism that locks the engine tilt when the motor is shifted into reverse. This is a very flimsey setup in my opinion and doesn't work well at all on my motor. Mothing is broken but there is a lot of binding at the point where the rotating shaft from the lower unit connects to the push rod which actuates the lock. A soft plastic was used for some of the parts here. I have to fiddle withe the shifter in order to get the motor tilted up. Lubricating everything helped some but not enough.<br />Question:<br />Is there a way or a product which would allow me to disable the shifter actuated tilt-lock and make it manual like some of my older motors?<br /><br />Thanks for reading, Thanks a LOT for any answers!

Bear

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Merc 9.8 Tilt-Lock, Shifter

Welcome to iboats!<br /><br />I had a similar problem with my '87 8HP Mercury. Cleaning and greasing the plasic parts didn't help much. Sanding, cleaning and greasing did. Try sanding the axle a bit until it moves smooth. <br /> Exploded views here <br /><br />Good luck!

Paleface

Cadet
Re: Merc 9.8 Tilt-Lock, Shifter

Thanks Bear, The cam and its retainer are the problem. This is a really crummy setup. The link helps though, at least parts are cheap and available! If new parts don't help I'll need to find or make a manual lever or put forty pounds of aluminum (and plastic) back into the recycling stream.