merc 9.8 pull cord

rocks

Seaman
A friend gave me a 9.8 he had in a storage for the last year.I went to start the other day and the pull cord will not move but 2".Could the head be frozen?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: merc 9.8 pull cord

Hi Rocks,<br /> You don't list a model number. Depending on the year, there could be a neutral lock-out feature that prevents the motor from being started in gear. It involves a lever that is actuated by the shifter and locks the recoil from turning. Should be visible if you remove the cowling.<br /> If it lacks that, you should be able to turn the flwheel by hand. No turn, then something is locked up. Could be the powerhead or lower unit... Let us know what you find...<br />- Scott

rocks

Seaman

merc 110 9.8 sn# 3610930,I don't know year maybe someone can help me out.with moto in forward or rev. the prop will not spin. In nuetral it spins freely.I couldn't tell where the nuetral lock out would be????

DHPMARINE

Captain

I don't think you have a lockout.Remove the recoil and try to turn the flywheel by hand.If frozen you could drop the gearcase and try again.<br /><br />My guess is the pistons are frozen from sitting.Tilt motor uo,pull sparkplugs and add penetrating oil.After a day or two try turning the flywheel back and forth until it turns 360*<br /><br />DHP