Merc 898 pulsing and not getting to full rpms

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
*Engine is a 1984 Mercruiser 898*
I haven't had my boat out for 2 years but decided to take it out yesterday. It started and ran ok, my tach showed about a 50 rpm fluctuation at no wake speed (950 rpm). It took about 10 min to get out of the no wake, I tried pushing the throttle forward normally and the engine died. I restarted and eased the throttle up to about 2500 rpm which worked but I could feel the lack of power and my rpms were bouncing down 200-300 rpms, come back up for a couple seconds then down again. I throttled back immediately, then after checking the fuel hose I tried easing up again but could not get above about 1800 before it would die. I turned around and was seeing about a 75 rpm pulse at the same 950 rpm area as I went back through the no wake.

Each time I started the engine, it cranked and fired up normally.

Prior to taking her out, I drained and removed the gas tank to remove the bad gas, and while I had the tank out I vacuumed the dry tank to remove any particles (steel tank). I reinstalled the tank with some line I had, about 2 yrs old and originally intended for an outboard. I saw no signs of*the walls collapsing or anything like that. I also had put a large inline fuel filter in place just before the engine. I also put a new fuel/water separator on. I removed the inline filter while on the water thinking perhaps it was restricting the gas flow but saw no change.

From searching the forums I'm guessing the spark plugs could be playing a part? What else should I check?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds to me that either your carb is clogged up or fuel pump is failing. Might also have real low compression.

I would start with taking the top of the carb off to see what it looks like inside. If that's clean check pressure (4-7 psi)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
in addition to the two items that AllDodge indicated, im going to also suggest the anti-siphon valve may be plugged or partially plugged with bad fuel residue.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
New plugs, wires, and dist. wouldn't hurt at this point either

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I'm with AD, 'n Scott,... Sounds like it ain't gettin' her fuel delivered properly,....

Also agree, checkin' the spark plugs, 'n doin' a compression test is never a bad idea,....