Merc 850 Trim doesn't work, just clicks

Nial

Seaman
Hi there<br /><br />I have a 1976 Merc 850XS and the electric trim died on me yesterday. At first the down button stopped working then worked every few goes then yesterday the whole thing stopped working on me. Now when I press the up button I get a clicking noise but not movement from the trim. When I press the down button I get no clicking sound and no movement at all. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Thanks<br />Nial

Nial

Seaman
Re: Merc 850 Trim doesn't work, just clicks

I have checked the battery and it is fully charged.

Laddies

Banned

That sounds like the motor has went bad, probably brushes

Nial

Seaman

Are the brushes replaceable? and if so where can i buy some?

Nial

Seaman

Could it be the solenoid? How would I test to discover what is broken?

emery1

Recruit

Mine did the same thing. I replaced the solenoid today and all is good.

Nial

Seaman

I tried wiring the trim motor straight to the battery but got a burning smell so i unplugged it straight away. Might try get a solenoid from the wreckers today. See how that goes.

sport15

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nial,<br />Sounds like you might have let the smoke out of the trim motor trying to jump it and that just got expensive.. If the solenoid clicks, put a volt meter on the load (motor)side and see if you get 12 volts DC. If yes don't get a new solenoid get a new motor. If the smoke really did get out that means your in for a rewind job or it is now toast and you can use it for a down rigger weight..

Nial

Seaman

I tested the solenoid and it is spitting out 12.5 volts on the other side so I guess my motor has gone. Is it worth trying to pull the old one apart and rebuild it? OR is it better to go with a new one?

Nial

Seaman

I took it to a shop and it worked there for a bit then stopped again. A few taps on the side of the motor and it goes again. They are going to ring me back with some prices on rebuilding it, What should I be looking to pay for this?

timmathis

Lieutenant

Check ebay you may find a good deal.

Nial

Seaman

I've seen some ones on ebay for about $90US but i'm not sure what motor I need. Couldn't find a part number on it. My motor has a red sticker on it saying "This is a high pressure pump, use only with Merc 1400 and 1500." Does any know what the part number for this motor is?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Nial, I am not sure if that motor is available aftermarket. You can look it up at the www.dougrussell.com web site and get the part number. You can tell if it will cross to a aftermarket motor. I found a used replacement for mine at a OB junk yard. He also had some new motors which were almost identical, except the motor shaft was shorter than the original. I recommend you see if they can rebuild your motor.

Nial

Seaman

I can't find any info on any aftermarket motors or original motors. I'm guessing you can't get new ones for this model. It is at the outboard wreckers at the moment so they are going to ring me with a price but wreckers always seem to want the earth for old used parts.

Nial

Seaman

Can anyone help me out with the part number for the trim motor?