Merc 850 about 1985 I think (Blueband one) stalls when put in gear

Nial

Seaman
Hi there<br />I have an old Merc 850 and it stalls every time it is put in gear when in the water. It will run and the prop spins when put in gear out of the water but never in the water. Just had the power pack replace(was expensive) and I don't think this was the problem. Could it be the prop slipping cause when placed in gear and I turn the prop should it be hard to turn cause it turns fairly easily. Any help would be great.<br />Thanks <br />Nial

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Merc 850 about 1985 I think (Blueband one) stalls when put in gear

Nial, If the motor stalls when put in gear (in the water) it is usually the carbs are out of adjustment (too lean), or the carbs are dirty. You need to adjust the idle mixture, or clean the carbs.<br /><br />On the prop slipping. Generally, the prop will turn both ways easily, when the motor is in neutral. When in forward, the prop will turn clockwise, with a rachet sound. When in reverse, the prop will turn 1/3 a revolution in either direction easily, and then encounter resistance.

Nial

Seaman

Originally posted by Chris1956:<br /> Nial, If the motor stalls when put in gear (in the water) it is usually the carbs are out of adjustment (too lean), or the carbs are dirty. You need to adjust the idle mixture, or clean the carbs.<br /><br />On the prop slipping. Generally, the prop will turn both ways easily, when the motor is in neutral. When in forward, the prop will turn clockwise, with a rachet sound. When in reverse, the prop will turn 1/3 a revolution in either direction easily, and then encounter resistance.
Yeah I tried fiddling with mixtures screws and it didn't change much, and i'm sure the carbs are clean cause they ran fine until this guy serviced the whole motor and now it doesn't run properly. I'm thinking he might not have out something back together properly.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Nial, That make it a bit hard to diagnose over the 'net. Can you take it back to the "Mechanic"?

Nial

Seaman

Originally posted by Chris1956:<br /> Nial, That make it a bit hard to diagnose over the 'net. Can you take it back to the "Mechanic"? [/Q<br />Yeah took it back to the mechcanic yesterday, he said the power settings might be wrong...I guess i'll just have to see if he can fix it. Cheers for the help anyway.<br />Nial

Nial

Seaman

Got it back from the mech today. Reckons some of the wires on the new stator were caught and therefore shorted out. Anyway gonna take it for a run out at the dam this weekend. Runs nicely with th earmuffs on it and doesn't miss anymore(it was missing a lot before when idling). Anyway I'll let you know how she goes. Oh and the mech found my prop isn't sitting all the way on but says it should make too much different. Just a little grap of about 1cm between prop and lower unit.

Nial

Seaman

I drained the tank and put fresh fuel in, didn't make any difference, I think I'm gonna have to change the fuel lines and put one those fuel filters in, reckon that will work?

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Nial, Blueband 850 would not be 1985 There stopped calling them 850's in 1979 and they were labelled 85. It will most likely be 1978.. what is the S/N ? Look here for cowling type.. <br /><br /> http://tinyurl.com/5ogx9 <br /><br />Does is have coils of dizzy ?

Nial

Seaman

Originally posted by Blackanchor:<br /> Nial, Blueband 850 would not be 1985 There stopped calling them 850's in 1979 and they were labelled 85. It will most likely be 1978.. what is the S/N ? Look here for cowling type.. <br /><br /> http://tinyurl.com/5ogx9 <br /><br />Does is have coils of dizzy ?
Engine No. is 4366928 if you can gather any info from that. Yeah I think it is about a 1974 going on the photos from that link. Can you give me some help with the following. The Mechanic we went to is well to be nice I'll say useless. Anyway he said my stator I think was broken and got me a new one at $475 AU. Well the old one did have some rubberizing of the wires so I've kept it anyway. Is the stator the circle thing with wires hanging out of it under the flywheel? Anyway under this "stator" is a small round thing wires as well. Well we got this out and 1 of the wires was completly broke and corroded and the others were in a terible condition. We think this is the problem because after testing the spark plugs we found 2 cyc weren't sparking. We tested some more and found it isn't the spark plugs either. Do you think this small stator with the broken wires would be my problem? I'm gonna try replace that part tommorrow. Oh yeah coils of dizzy? Dunno what that is? Has thunderbolt ignition if that is any help.

dolluper

Captain

1976 is your year , your talking about the trigger with bad wires ,don't overlook your safety switch hocked into trigger

Nial

Seaman

Originally posted by dolluper:<br /> 1976 is your year , your talking about the trigger with bad wires ,don't overlook your safety switch hocked into trigger
Thanks for the year mate, Can you tell me a little more about this safety switch because I didn't know it had one.

dolluper

Captain

When looking at your plugs on the left side exhaust cover looks like a condensor either an orange or black or salmon coloured wire The trigger can be tested by disconnecting the [brownwire and between it and white/black r x 100 scale on ohem meter should read 7 to 10] [between the white and the violet should read 7 to 10 ] if it falls in this reading your trigger is ok so just fix your wires

NathanY

Commander

Is there enough wire there to solder them back together, then shrink wrap? Stators for that motor are EXTREMELY expensive.

Nial

Seaman

Originally posted by Nate in AR:<br /> Is there enough wire there to solder them back together, then shrink wrap? Stators for that motor are EXTREMELY expensive.
Nah there wasn't enough wire left, we were going to try solder them back together but there is only a few strands of wire left so we've ordered a new part. New one $200 AU and second hand is $150 so we're getting the new one. I'll you know how she goes we we get it and put it in.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Nial<br /><br />Where is Aus are you ? Yeah, the trigger and stator are known for corrosion under the insulation and as Nate said, you can fix them if there's enough wire left.

Nial

Seaman

Originally posted by Blackanchor:<br /> Nial<br /><br />Where is Aus are you ? Yeah, the trigger and stator are known for corrosion under the insulation and as Nate said, you can fix them if there's enough wire left.
Me and my boat are in Toowoomba, Queensland at the moment, but most of the year I live in Townsville in North Queensland. Only home for the summer months and thats when all my boating gets done cause I got no where to put the boat in Townsville. Yeah my dad's mate soldered up the wires on the trigger but they look like they've be done before so we just gone with the new replacement. It's been ordered but has to come from Sydney so dunno how. U from Aus to mate?

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

I am from Melbourne. It's usually unsuitable for boating here... due to bad weather..That's why I have so many posts on iboats. :rolleyes:

Nial

Seaman

Originally posted by Blackanchor:<br /> I am from Melbourne. It's usually unsuitable for boating here... due to bad weather..That's why I have so many posts on iboats. :rolleyes:
Yeah never been to melbourne but after you watch any sporting event there it does seem like the weath is all over the place. I have a mate you lives there and reckons its a great place to live, I wouldn't mind visiting there one day but dunno if i'd live there, I like me boating too much!

Nial

Seaman

Took me boat out yesterday and it goes like a rocket. Only problem is it a small flat spot in the throttle that comes and goes. It idles fine and when put in gear its fine, just the first bit of revs when pulling someone out it dies sometimes, if I sort of half rev it then when it begins to die back off for half a sec then go flat stick it when will open right up and go full speed. Then after running it for a while I can just floor it and it will pull a person striaght out of the water not worries, but after stopping to engine for a few min to swap person in the water when i restart the flat spot returns again. Could this be something to do with the timing as we're not sure it that is set right?