merc 70hp stalling in gear

andy w.

Recruit
hi. I have a 1980 mercury 70hp that stalls when put into gear.Now it wont start at all.Ran fine for a couple of trips in the past,then would stall when I put it in gear unless you were really quick & nailed the throttle as soon as you put it in gear.Then it would run fine for the rest of the trip.Took it out last week...same thing only then it wouldn't start at all after going in gear & stalling.Brought it home took plugs out cranked it a little cause it seemed flooded(wet plugs,espescially the bottom one)& it fired right up.Idled fine & revved up fine.Took it out today....same thing.Started up,let it idle&warm up,put it in gear,,,stalled & wont restart.Now I cant get it to start at all.Spark seems good with a plug but won't fire a spark tester.Thats not right....right?Plus the plugs seemed dry at first so I choked it with my hand a little& got some gas flow but still wouldnt fire.Plugs come out dry one minute then wet enough to fire the next then dry as a bone.Wierd.Somewhere between dry & wet it should have fired or something right???Any help is GREATLY APPRICIATED!!!!Thanks Andy.

RaScLeS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: merc 70hp stalling in gear

someone help this man, mine is the same issue now :mad:

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: merc 70hp stalling in gear

I had the same problem last October.Started right up,idled,reved up while in nuetral,then put it in gear and it would stall,then take a while to fire up again.it was some crap in the carbs.They rebuilt both carbs and rebuilt the fuel pump.Has ran perfect since then.Check it out.It cost me about $350.00,but now I know what to look for.Well worth the money.Good luck.