Merc 650 - Tight Steering

Troy_from _Oz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey all, Just after a bit of advice if anyone can help. <br />I have a merc 650 and the steering has gone tight. I have disconnected the steering cable and it is the vertical pivot tube at the motor sideof things that is stiff. I have re-greased it, pumping lots of marine grease through nipple until fresh grease comes out at bottom seal, I have also put a jack just under skeg and put upward pressure on motor to try and disperse more grease into tube, but still tight. regreasing has helped, but problem still remains. Is there anything I can do short of stripping the whole thing down, which I presume pretty much means removal of ob?<br /><br />Any way of getting degreaser into the shaft to disperse old grease?<br /><br />cheers<br />T

Laddies

Banned
Re: Merc 650 - Tight Steering

We have a adapter we made to punp powertune or simular products thru the zerts to help with some of those type of problems

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Laddies,<br />powertune is the trick?

Laddies

Banned

Andy, we use powertune, I think that there other products that might also work, it is a good pentrant and will soften old grease, the guys call it Maiden Oil :D I hate to say it put I have never had much luck with PB Blaster

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Enough said. I will give it a try. I have always had the same problem. Stiff steering and like Troy_from_Oz when I pump grease it justs dumps out near the bottom yoke.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

How about some heat? What kind of torch would be optimal?

Laddies

Banned

Andy I afraid if you have to use heat the brg is to far gone and needs to be replaced, but I guess at that point it's whatever works, good luck Bob

Troy_from _Oz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry - But what is powertune? Is that the sort of thing you spray into your carby to help remove gum?<br /><br />Im not sure what products we would get over here. I have penetrating oil, INOX and heavy duty degreaser.<br /><br />Cheers<br />T

Laddies

Banned

Powertune is a decarb product from Mercury, a good grade of penetrating oil should be about the same

Troy_from _Oz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK thanks Laddies. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get it in there... ;)