merc 60 questions

Jerry Beebe

Cadet
I have recently rebuilt a 60 merc (ob343140) and tried to start it today and seem to have timing problems. The manual I have has little to say about the 60. Almost every engine except mine it has a great deal to say about. I need to know where to start with the timing. The plug wires were 321 starting at the top. We found 123 stamped on the water jacket. I am wondering if the previous owner had the plug wires mixed up. also does anyone know should the cd ignition be aranged 123 starting from the top? They are not marked.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander
Re: merc 60 questions

Have a peek below for typical wiring...

Top coil is for #3 plug
Middle coil is for #2 plug
Bottom coil is for #1 plug

You can see the wiring to the switchbox, from each coil.

Hope that helps.

Click to see larger image

Jerry Beebe

Cadet

Thanks but that doesn't answer my question. I need to know what is 123 cylinders. Numbered from the top. The guy who had this motor was a little to smart for his own good and i'm afraid he might have switched plug wires, and I don't know where they were originaly. With no 1 cyl at tdc, I can set the flywheel on the mark, and get close enough to start the motor, then use a timing light. But I have to know which is no1. It would have helped if they had numbered the cd ignition module too.

Jerry Beebe

Cadet

I'm sorry, I didn't look close enough at your reply. I see you did tell me . That is how it was wired. So are the cylinders also 321 from the top? I don't know what our problem is. We brutalized the starter yesterday and never got it to run. It would fire with the choke out and try to preignight and kick back, and with the choke in it just spun. Also I never got the water pump to put out any water. It has a new impeller. I don't know if it can pump on just starter rpms? I had a muff on it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

no it will not pump just on the starter. but the impeller need the water when trying to start, to keep the wear down. it is highly recommended not to turn the engine over with out water to the impeller. make sure the woodruff key in the flywheel/ crank shaft is not sheered.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry Jerry, I didnt answer your question.

#1 cylinder is the TOP cylinder.

tashasdaddy, it is a splined crank shaft. No key to shear.