Merc 500 50hp Powerhead

dburr

Seaman
I have a 78 50hp (i think)4 cyl blueband. It has some internal problems....Found a powerhead of unknown year for sale. What is the different era's for this engine.....Basically what year span is compatible with this engine. E.g a a 71 - 83 powerheads are all the same. Can anyone answer this?

gasguzzler

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Merc 500 50hp Powerhead

This is difficult to answer.Why dont you just use the correct one.You know theres also concern in regards to linkage connections and stops and other casting differances on the outside.Hell.you might not even get the engine cover back on.Did you ever think of that,,,,well, did ya? If this is something you feel you must do for what ever reason,I can provide you with two helpfull hints--#1) V6 and 4IL powerheads dont interchange #2) one powerhead from a V6 wont match an 3cyl.inline. hope this helps, Gasguzzler "take only pictures & leave only footprints"

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

dburr

Seaman

thanks Unicorn..... Turns out the guy had a compatible block for it, but the linkage was different..He asked if it had a dizzy and it does so did the block he had so it seemed it would fit, then we looked into the linkage. Thought it was funny that two pretty much identical units had different linkages. Anyway thanks for YOUR help. <br /><br />gasguzzler: in response to this "Did you ever think of that,,,,well, did ya?". I dont think you have any idea what your talking about, well did ya?

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

I think Gasguzzler makes a few good points, but may need to work on the interpersonal aspects of the post. :D :D But there may be some subtle differences in the external fixtures casted into the block as changes were made over the years. But the key is the part number.If the number is the same, the part is tha SAME.

gasguzzler

Seaman Apprentice

On the contrary,dude, I voiced out exackly what came to mind.Linkages,casting stops and the such.These are the areas that concerned me when I read your question.linkage was an issue,was it not.Then unicorn writes."a few good points" and he then speaks of casting fixtures on the block.Again this is another area of concern that came to me right away and I wrote to you about it.Now,I can be open minded,and i dont mind being corrected when im wrong.Your response to me..."I dont think you have any idea what your talking about" well dude, I completely disagree with you.I think I hit some/not all,concerns square on the nose.In fact, it was a bulls eye,totally.As far as the rest of my story,,I was just trying to be funny.Im sorry if it bothered or offended you. I really mean that. Good luck with you project.I you make the swap,and make it work,my hats off to you. best regards,Mike

brad1756

Cadet

guzzler, dont be trying to have no fun on the internet. I think it's strictly forbidden. Lucky you aint banned. :roll eyes: LOL

gasguzzler

Seaman Apprentice

i guess there used to be a time when we could have fun fun fun till daddy took the tbird away

dburr

Seaman

gave up on the the peice of crap. Not worth putting the money into a 73. Thanks for help guys, I think Im buying a johnson........

dburr

Seaman

actually changed my mind and bought a yamaha 50hp mint condition. Only thing it doesnt have power tilt. Though I was told one of the older mecury tilt units that has the moter all in one sort of thing will bolt right in......Have you guys ever heard of that

gasguzzler

Seaman Apprentice

Oh no! here we go again. why dont you just get the right one..................................................................lol

dburr

Seaman

hhahah<br /><br />Yamaha tilts are hard to find and exspensive. And I guess alot of the lower units on yamahas are mercury just like mercury four strokes are yamaha..... So pricing and availability easily says, buy the black one and not the silver on for half the price..... Do you guys know which one of the mercury tilts Im talking about? Its got the ram and the motor all mounited together, it will install right under the motor.....Sorry guys Im not the biggest boat mechanic in the world,<br /><br />Example: that there thing with the ram attaches to that thing under the motor there.