merc 5.7 alpha gen 1 temp climbs at idle

bluemist

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,<br />I have a problem which reoccours every year for the past three years.<br />When I start the boat and let it idle to warm up the temp will slowly climb up into the red zone. Now, here is the kicker. One quick rev and the temp drops to 140 and will stay there all day. I can run wide open or idle no problems. If I shut the boat off and restart same broblem.Here is a list of parts changed:<br /><br />Impeller, from pump base to housing every year<br />Water pocket cover <br />risers <br />nylon balls in brass tee<br />Thermostat housing<br />Thermostat evey year<br />all ON engine hoses<br />back flushed hose with oil cooler in it.<br />I should mention the idle is very low 550 rpm. I was told the idle should be set as low as the engine will run to help save the drive when shifting <br />Although the problem is manageable I would like to know what is going on here.<br /><br /> Thank you in advance for your advice, AL

I/O WALDO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: merc 5.7 alpha gen 1 temp climbs at idle

What kinda power you runnin?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your idle is probably the problem, it takes a bit to get the water flowing when you first start it.<br />Give it some rpm to run the pump with. The idle should be 650 to 700 in gear, not 550. It will also give you some more oil pressure when you run the engine cold.

bluemist

Seaman Apprentice

Hey I/O Waldo just stock 260 hp kind of a dog but cant put out too much more with the alpha.

bluemist

Seaman Apprentice

Don S.,<br /> Thanks for the advice I will give the idle a boost. <br />AL