Merc 5.0 ignition

Yukonmuscle

Seaman
Hey guys I have a 2010 merc5.0 2barrell tks. What parts do I need to replace or modify to gain control of my rpm limit. I'd like to have it adjustable whether with a dial or pills doesn't matter. Thanks

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: Merc 5.0 ignition

I think that is still Thunderbolt V, so there is not any adjustment. It is a set rpm based on the ICM. You would need to find an aftermarket ignition with an adjustable rev limiter.

Yukonmuscle

Seaman

I'd like to be able to raise it or lower it, depending in the what I need as I modify the engine. Does it have a computer being a carburated model? Or maybe an ignition. I'd I can change?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The engine has an 'ignition control module' on it, nothing like TB-V. It is not adjustable, even with a scan tool.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

it has an ICM that also controls the shift interupt as well as the rev limiter. it is not adjustable.

scoflaw

Ensign

Give this guy a call, says he can tweek just about any marine ECM
OBD Diagnostics

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have a 2010 merc5.0 2barrell tks

You might want to post your engines Mercruiser serial number. I don't show the carbed engines using anything but the Thunderbolt V ignition system.
Since it's not MPI, no OBD or anything else will work on it, because it doesn't have an ECM............ It has a carb

achris

You might want to post your engines Mercruiser serial number. I don't show the carbed engines using anything but the Thunderbolt V ignition system.
Since it's not MPI, no OBD or anything else will work on it, because it doesn't have an ECM............ It has a carb

Hey Don,

I used the manual for the TKS (#41) and looked at the wiring diagram. It show an 'ignition module', not TB-V or ECM... But either way, nothing is adjustable...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey Don,

I used the manual for the TKS (#41) and looked at the wiring diagram. It show an 'ignition module', not TB-V or ECM... But either way, nothing is adjustable...

Let's wait for a SN, the TB-V ignition still had to be put into timing mode for setting the carb, even the old carbs. Look at the diagram, it all goes for timing and carb adjustment.
You may need the wiring diagram for the engine to figure it all out, for that, you need a harness number.

Yukonmuscle

Seaman

Sorry i have t responded quickly guys, I do appreciate the help
Serial # 1a605227

There is a module bolted to the exhaust. Wires appear to be heading in direction of distributor
and definitely the trigger wires for the coil come from this module. Can I put in an aftermarket
ignition box to gain control of my rpm limit?

Bondo

Staff member

Hey guys I have a 2010 merc5.0 2barrell tks. What parts do I need to replace or modify to gain control of my rpm limit. I'd like to have it adjustable whether with a dial or pills doesn't matter. Thanks

Ayuh,... On Boat motors the Wot Rpms are controlled by the Prop...

Put the right Prop on the drive, 'n the motor's rpms are limited....

No need to swap ignitions....;)

Yukonmuscle

Seaman

Guys!!!! Come on I understand prop controls rpm. With the 19p the boat came with I can hit the 4950rpm limit no matter how the boat is loaded. I had that prop cupped and I still went into the factory rev limiter. I tried several different props and can turn a cheap aluminum 21p prop to 4800 rpm unloaded or 4600 rpm with 6 people and full gear in the boat. I'd like to be able to spin the motor to 5200-5500 before the rev limiter shuts me down. I mod everything I own, I'm an ase certified class A automotive technician. Modding my toys is what I enjoy doing. I've got a bare 350 block that's gonna be a 383 eventually but it won't be this summer. This summer I am planning to change out the carb and intake on the 5.0 and I'd like to raise the rpm limit as well. I'm 2mph slower then my uncles boat this year but I don't want to be next year

Bondo

Staff member

Guys!!!! Come on I understand prop controls rpm. With the 19p the boat came with I can hit the 4950rpm limit no matter how the boat is loaded. I had that prop cupped and I still went into the factory rev limiter. I tried several different props and can turn a cheap aluminum 21p prop to 4800 rpm unloaded or 4600 rpm with 6 people and full gear in the boat. I'd like to be able to spin the motor to 5200-5500 before the rev limiter shuts me down. I mod everything I own, I'm an ase certified class A automotive technician. Modding my toys is what I enjoy doing. I've got a bare 350 block that's gonna be a 383 eventually but it won't be this summer. This summer I am planning to change out the carb and intake on the 5.0 and I'd like to raise the rpm limit as well. I'm 2mph slower then my uncles boat this year but I don't want to be next year

Ayuh,... If yer a Mechanic, you know that spinnin' a motor faster than the cam can build power, ya Ain't gonna go any faster....

You don't need a Rev-limiter,....
Ya need More Horsepower to go faster...

The drive don't like bein' Over-rev'ed either... Nor does a prop....

Spinnin' 5500 rpms is just wastin' gas, Not buildin' Power....
Yer pretty much Outa horsepower with the 21" prop...
Throw a 23" on it, 'n see what it'll do...

You'll soon enough learn that big cams, 'n High RPMs is Not what makes boats go Fast,...

Yukonmuscle

Seaman

Hell yeah I need more horsepower! Who doesn't lol. It's just when I hit the factory limiter with the 19p prop I'm still picking up speed! There has got to be another mph or two left in this little 5.0 and alpha. I'm sure the cam doesn't just drop off at 4950........ Merc set that there so that if someone held the boat wide open for ten min it wouldn't blow up. I'm not your average boater, and I hate leaving horsepower on the table just so other people can be safe. I realize the more I push the motor and drive passed its original rpm the more risk I'm taking on destroying them but I doubt 4950 is safe and 5500 is a bomb ready to go off.
I do appreciate all the info, thanks again for your continued help.
Hasn't anyone here modded a small block that required it to turn a little more then 5000 rpm?

Bondo

Staff member

Hasn't anyone here modded a small block that required it to turn a little more then 5000 rpm?

Ayuh,.... A lot of Us have Hot Rodded SBCs...
If ya want Power,....

Build a 383 Stroker...

Yer right about the redline though,...
The cam falls flat at 4800 rpms...

achris

Hell yeah I need more horsepower! Who doesn't lol. It's just when I hit the factory limiter with the 19p prop I'm still picking up speed! There has got to be another mph or two left in this little 5.0 and alpha. I'm sure the cam doesn't just drop off at 4950........

Yes it does!! You know that once you reach maximum power (4600rpm on these engines) any increase in revs, because of a lack of load (in the marine business we call the prop a load), is also a REDUCTION in horsepower. Just have a look at any power and torque graph for any engine (with the exception of a rotary, they're crazy!).

So, as EVERYBODY has already told you, use an increase in propeller pitch to get the engine speed down.

To demonstrate. I run a 17" prop and hit the rev limiter at 5100, that's about 39 knots. When I change to a 19" I have max revs of 4600, and a top speed of 43.2 knots..... I get over 4 knots increase with just a prop change, NOTHING else. (I run the 17" 99% of the time because I like the better response in the mid-range....)

Here's the thing about boats. You could easily build a SBC engine that makes 400hp, peaks at 6,500 rpm, but it would be undriveable. Boats need engines that produce TORQUE at the low end of the rev range. That's incompatible with an engine that make huge horsepower at the top end (generally). If you want more speed, then get a prop on there that gets the engine to turn in the top half of the RECOMMENDED REV RANGE, which in your case is 4600-4800. And don't think an ali prop is the answer. They're blades are too thick and flex too much, you need a good SS, like a Laser II or a Mirage. Even a Vengance is better than Ali....

Just my 0.02....
:D

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I would switch to stainless prop to eliminate the flexing your seeing with the aluminum. I also wouldnt spin much faster than 5000 rpm.

Horsepower is simply Torque X RPM / 5252.

if you want to be faster, put a quality higher pitch prop on it