Merc 5.0 EFI- Pressure in crankcase

shmart2

Cadet
Here's the deal. This is a 2001 Searay 240 with a Mercruiser 5.0 EFI, B3 drive. After cruising for about an hour at around 3400 RPM, I noticed a drop in oil pressure. By the time I could throttle back, the alarm was sounding, I shut down immediately. There was alot of oil in the bilge, not sprayed, but running down the starboard side of the block.
Long story short, with the help of my BIL who is a very experienced auto mechanic, here's what I know:
1. The oil squirts out of the dipstick hole at a huge rate as soon as I throttle up, under load (underway, not out of gear in the slip.)
2. Compression is excellent in all 8 cylinders, spark plugs looked fine.
3. This has a remote oil filter which was close to impossible to remove, and I am certain it was not overtightened when installed. In fact, we replaced the oil filter, barely ran it beyond reaching regular temperature, and it was again VERY difficult to remove.
4. We checked the PCV valve, and vacuum hoses, etc. under the flame arrestor and around the block.
5. We disconnected and checked the 2 lines coming in/out of the base of the remote filter. After determining which one is in and which is out, we blew through the out and heard/saw oil coming out of the "in" side, as if the block end was blocked- as if this was just a loop.

Is this the problem? Is there a valve in the adapter part that the remote unit attaches to? I really hope this isn't an oil pump problem, although it certainly seems OK. Thanks in advance, Eric

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Merc 5.0 EFI- Pressure in crankcase

Try a compression test, that will tell you which cylinder is causing the problem.
It really sounds like a piston problem, like a hole in it.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Merc 5.0 EFI- Pressure in crankcase

You said "2. Compression is excellent in all 8 cylinders,.."
You tested after the oil blew out? Or sometime before?

Is there a vent from each valve cover to the intake? If so, remove them from the intake & blow into one. Does air come out the other?