Merc 470 Head BOLT Removal HELP!!

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok so I have manafold, both intake and exaust removed and noe I am at the point where I am trying to remove the head bolts. having some trouble... does this require a special socket/wrench to remove these? cause thses suckers are on there good!! :rolleyes: <br /><br />thanks<br />david

Gus Mortimer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Merc 470 Head BOLT Removal HELP!!

Yep those can be a pain! <br /> I just removed a head on my 120 OMC used penetrating fluid, let it sit then used an 1/2 in impact and correct impact socket to remove some, a few were too tough for even that, I then used a big breaker bar and my foot for leverage.<br /> if that does not work try heating the bloch around where the bolts are threaded in this will expand the metal surrounding them, then hopefully you can pop em loose.

elpaso

Petty Officer 1st Class

A 470 is totaly different from a 120.GM engine.<br />Do nothing, untill an old 470 Merc. guy tells<br />you how. The 470 is a very unuasual engine.<br /><br />Wait 24 hours - some one knows.

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do nothing, untill an old 470 Merc. guy tells<br />you how.
thanks elpaso, I want to do this right the first time... so if anyone has had experience removing these Ford heads from the 470 block please fill me in on the secret :D

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

am I going to need an impact wrench to remove the bolts? any liquid wrench, wd-40 kind of stuff you would remomend to help loosen the seal of the bolts??<br /><br />in desprate need of help at this point :) :) :)

Bondo

Staff member

Hey Kid,<br />I don't Normally work on 470s, but seeing your a Maineiac(I was born,+ raised in Old Town), I dug out my book......<br />There's Nothing Special about removing your head... Loosen All the bolts, Starting in the center,+ working your way to the ends.....<br />After removing the bolts, tap the head with a block of wood to break the gasket free,<br />Then remove the head...........<br />As to What Wrench, I'd go with a 1/2" Breaker-bar, with the Proper sized 6-point Socket.......<br />If you Need more Power, Add a 4' pipe to the handle of the Bar..... That Should give you Plenty of Torque......<br />If you can, find a Helper to keep the Socket True to the head of the bolt....<br />When they break free, It'll be with a Bang.....<br />Yes, they're standard right handed threads..... Turn them Counter-Clockwise......<br /><br />BTW, If the 4' pipe Doesn't work,<br />Get a longer Pipe................................ :D <br /><br />Good Luck.......

cjflanagan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bondo - Well, well, well. I grew up in Orrington. The wifes from Brewer. Small world.

Bondo

Staff member

Boiling Point 212,<br />My little Sister,+ Husband own Smith's Furniture, in Orrington.......<br />Her kids go to your old school.........<br />My Aunt Jean Bond taught High School in Brewer for about 100years........<br /><br />Yep, It's a Very Small world.................... :D

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!<br /><br />woooohhoooo<br /><br />thanks to all once again, you all ROCK!!<br /><br />and a special thanks goes out to my fellow Maineiacs... Bondo, I have hear of Old Town, never been there really. But Point 212, where is Orrington? Guess i'll have to get the trusty ole map book out...

Bondo

Staff member

Old Town is 12 miles Up stream from Bangor.....<br /><br />Orrington is accross the river,+ down stream a couple miles from Bangor.......<br /><br />Yep,<br />There's Only a couple million people in the whole world who are Proud to be called, ah Maineiac :D

JasonB

Lieutenant

It really is a small world BP212, I live in Smyrna, TN about 10 miles from you.