Merc 40 HP Water Pump repair info needed plz.

bazzmaster

Cadet
I have a 1980 merc 40 hp.. I believe the water pump is bad. When starting it for the 1st time this year barely any water came out, just dripped. I owned the motor 2 years now and new to boating but have learned these pumps go bad often.. I need to know whether to replace or rebuild it.. (cost comparison) I will be doing it myself so any hints on how to do it or special tools I will need is helpful... Thanks

bazzmaster

Cadet
Re: Merc 40 HP Water Pump repair info needed plz.

Also, I have no manual.. So where is the water pump and what do I need to remove to get to it. Thanks

bazzmaster

Cadet

Other ques I have is what kit I need... There is the upper housing rebuild kit for like $45, then the repair kit with all gaskets and impeller for $15.. I should only need the impeller and gaskets right?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you've not done this on an outboard before it is highly recommended that you buy a service manual for your engine. Get it from the dealer (prefereably the engine manufacturers manual) or on-line. Your library may also have one. The water pump is located in the lower unit so that needs to be pulled off the engine. Whether or not you need the upper housing rebuild kit depends on what it looks like when you get it apart. If it has grooves and shows wear, it needs to be replaced.

bazzmaster

Cadet

Thanks upinsmoke, I ordered a manual today, $30 on ebay.. this forum is a lot of help.. Funny how everybody says "get a manual". I was hoping I could order my parts before I opened up the motor, guess I'll take a look at the housing 1st.. Thanks again.

destol cooper

Recruit

A manual is a must.I saw one case were a dirt dabber plugged the hole up. With manual the impeller is not that hard to replace.<br /> good luck

Smedley

Cadet

Bazz, <br /><br />I have the '82 version of your boat and motor. I have replace the impeller before and it's not too bad. My brother and I did it in about an hour. I've had the dirt dauber in the water jet before too.<br /><br />I also grew up in SEMO. Ever fish Perry County Community Lake?