Merc. 40 hp fired up. No water.

tibb

Cadet
Thanks for all the great advice.<br />The new boat is coming along greatly. The motor hasn't been started in 7 years. I followed all the advice for tune up and lower unit work posted here. Replaced water pump impeller, gaskets and gear oil.<br />Started today first time no problem. I was amazed at how quickly it fired up. Only thing was that I don't think the earmuffs were good enough. No water from the telltale, but tons from around the muffs. <br />Will blowing out telltale hole from the top down or bottom up be best? Should I check first by running in a trash can rather than with cheap muffs before disassembling lower unit again? <br />As stated in many posts, tons of smoke from Seafoam decarbing and elapsed time since last ran. Should I run the entire tank of Seafoam at idle or greater?<br />At what point should I change spark plugs again?<br />Is there any other additive that can be used on a regular basis to ensure longevity?<br />Thanks in advance. I love this board.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: Merc. 40 hp fired up. No water.

try some compressed air in pee-hole, bugs love<br />nesting in there. never run above idle on muffs.<br />trash can is good idea. sea-foam added to gas is<br />more for prevention. best to get the aerosol<br />version (deep-creep) and spray into carbs for<br />a serious decarb.<br />good luck,<br />M.Y.

Moody Blue

Captain

As mellowyellow stated check that the pee hole is not plugged. Some sort of mud wasp had mine plugged for about 2" from the outlet. Had to remove the rubber hose from under the cowling and clean it out with a piece of wire. Motor was only sitting about 4-5 days when the critters decided to build a nest.

Moody Blue

Captain

Forgot to mention that it takes about 15-20 seconds for the water jackets to fill up before getting to the pee hole. First reaction is to shut things down right away when you don't see water.

tibb

Cadet

I let it run as long as I felt comfortable without it getting too hot. When I shut her down and moved the can, a steady stream of water flowed down out of the lower unit where the intake vents were. So I know the pump is getting water up into the upper portion of the motor. Sounds like it's clogged. I'll check that tomorrow. Darn time change leaves me about 30 min. per night after work to hook everything up.<br /><br />Do ya'll know if a '82 40hp has a thermostat that needs to warm up before opening?<br /><br />I have a bottle of spray carb cleaner (Gumout brand) and am wondering if I just spray a steady stream right into the throat of the carb while the engine is running?

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

wouldn't use carb cleaner since it will mess<br />with the oil mix/lube for cylinders.<br />carbon isn't in the carbs, it's in the cyliders.<br />I wouldn't worry too much about carbon build up.<br />have you checked compression yet?<br />good luck,<br />M.Y.

tibb

Cadet

That's true. I never thought about that. Thanks. I haven't checked compression yet.