Merc 4.5 Carb Cleaning Question

danhfmn

Recruit
Hey guys, I just got a '78 4.5hp and I'd like to check all the bases before I try and fire it up. I've got a service manual on the way so I can replace the impeller.<br /><br />I'd like to check out the carb as well, and at least clean it. I've never done a thing with a carb, either on a car or an outboard. <br />How do you clean them properly? What are the do's and don'ts??<br /><br />PS: Anyone know what that little metal rod is on the front side, just below the mounting bolts?

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Merc 4.5 Carb Cleaning Question

Your service manual should have a good section on taking apart and re-assembling the carb. I've used Seloc and OEM for my old ('74) merc. carb and both were fine for this and waterpump work.<br /><br />To clean thoroughly you need a dip-type carb cleaner (usually in gallon can w/ basket), some spray cleaner and compressed air (can or compresser). You also need either a full rebuild kit or at least a gasket kit. If your engine has a fuel pump, you want to rebuild that too (cheap and easy).<br /><br />You remove the carb from the engine, completely disassemble it, soak all metal parts in the dip overnight, blow out all orifices and tiny passages with spray carb cleaner and air, inspect carefully for warn parts (or just use rebuild kit), and reassemble with new gaskets and/or other parts.<br /><br />Pitfalls: breaking or losing parts. With a service manual, the disassembly, reassembly and adjustment really aren't that difficult.