Merc 305 '99 with an Alpha 1 drive

mestey2004

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, <br /><br />Came back to the dock today, shifted into reverse and there was a short grinding noise and didnt get reverse. This didnt bother me since I just figured that I needed to adjust the cable. Then I went and started the boat to put it on the trailer and I didnt have the forward gear either. THis has never happened. I checked the shifter to see if anything was amiss and everything was moving properly, just wasnt shifting.<br /><br />I know it could be the cable, I've fixed this before (I dont think it is this since I replaced it at the beginning of the season). I also know it could be the clutch dog, which I haven't fixed before.<br /><br />Is there something else it could be? How hard is the clutch dog to fix?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Mike

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Merc 305 '99 with an Alpha 1 drive

If the clutch dog is bad, it normally takes the gears with it. Then it's considered a rebuild.<br />Before you go to all that, disconnect the drive shift cable at the engine. With the engine running, see if it will manually shift by pulling and pushing the cable.

mestey2004

Seaman Apprentice

crap... thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer

mike, Look in the FAQ section for an article on this subject.