Merc 3.7litre hp upgrade

CampionGuy

Seaman
Good Evening iboaters,

I have been tearing apart my standard '88 Merc 3.7l to diagnose a problem and was wondering if making it the 190hp is as simple as changing the intake manifold and carb to the 4bbl and adapting the throttle linkage to suit. While looking for parts for my engine I came across a parts manifest that stated something to this effect. If by chance it isn't too difficult or costly and my engine is salvagable I would consider doing it while it is apart.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanx,
Doug

CampionGuy

Seaman
Re: Merc 3.7litre hp upgrade

WillyB,

I guess a simple "Thank You" is in order.:D

Doug

plassiter1

Cadet

that engine is problematic to say the least.

if you can get it to keep running you have done plenty

I got smart and sold mine.

CampionGuy

Seaman

I tend to disagree with you plassiter. Until my current problem, which turns out to be head gasket, this motor has served me well for 10 years. Hence the reason I want to keep it and add some hp because......well....because I can! I have access to parts and as long as it is just carb and intake manifold then I would like to do it.
Thanx for the opinion though. I guess it is like any motor, the better you care for it the better it runs and the longer it will last. I currently have 1200 hours on it and intend to rebuild it this winter.

Doug

Bondo

Staff member

I tend to disagree with you plassiter.

Keep it long enough,+ You'll be Agreeing.........

The 470s were Mercruiser's Better Idea,............ That Wasn't............:rolleyes:

plassiter1

Cadet

I tend to disagree with you plassiter. Until my current problem, which turns out to be head gasket, this motor has served me well for 10 years. Hence the reason I want to keep it and add some hp because......well....because I can! I have access to parts and as long as it is just carb and intake manifold then I would like to do it.
Thanx for the opinion though. I guess it is like any motor, the better you care for it the better it runs and the longer it will last. I currently have 1200 hours on it and intend to rebuild it this winter.

Doug

wow, thats pretty good.

to be honest, i was quite lucky and relatively happy with mine. but still glad to got rid of it once and for all. it todays boating world it is somewhat of a white elephant.

I found it to have decent power but when pushed hard, wasnt that great on gas, a 4.3L v6 would have been better.

I suspected a upcoming head gasket problem on mine after a compression test of 150,150,150,125