Merc 1995 3.0 LX noise

novelles

Seaman Apprentice
I am really mad today. This is the story: I took the boat out of the water to get an oil leak repaired. From what I have read here after some posts it looked like the front seal of the crankshaft or the timing cover. Finally it turned to be a water leak in the water pump that had rusted the cover so I had to replace both. The mechanic was no able to remove the dumper with the engine on the boat so he had to remove the engine. Then he said it took him 3 hours to remove the dumper, with heat, hammer and an extractor.<br /><br />I do not know what he really did but now that the cover and the pump have been replaced and once the engine is again on the boat, makes a terrible noise when running. It is like a "tac-tac-tac-tac" noise that does not stop when the engine warms up. The mechanic said that there is a loose rod but the engine did not do that noise before.<br /><br />I think that he messed something when trying to remove the dumper by hitting it but it is hard to prove since just me knows that that noise was not there before.<br /><br />Any ideas or suggestions on that noise?<br />If it is a loose rod, is it safe to run the engine?<br /><br />It took 3 weeks to get the oil leak repaired in a working engine and know I have a clean noisy and probably broken engine. :mad: <br /><br />Should I pay for this repair or not?<br /><br />Thanks in advance

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Merc 1995 3.0 LX noise

DON'T PAY UNTIL HE FIXES IT <br /><br />Get another mechanic to inspect the engine and write a report, then take it to the first mechanic and get him to fix the problem he caused.<br /><br />Chris.........<br /><br />Just been down the same road with my car!

xltier

Chief Petty Officer

the damper has rubber in it.if he heated it, it would of ruined it.not sure but my daughters car had a tac tac sound,quite loud,and it was the damper.i replaced it and now no noises.we really thought it had a broken piston skirt.hth

xltier

Chief Petty Officer

if it was heated,it may of ruined the damper cause of rubber inside that takes the vibrations out of the crank.my daughters car was clanking really loud and it was the harmonic balancer.her boyfriends buick did the same thing.it sounds like a connecting rod let go.hth

novelles

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, it could be the harmonic balancer ruined. In fact when the engine runs you can see it is bent somehow. Can this affect the engine that much? I supose it will tear the belt soon because of the uneven movement but I do not know if this affects the crankshaft or the engine to the point of breaking it up.<br /><br />I would appreciate more help.

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That motor has Timing gears no chain If one of the timing gears got damaged and don't mesh correctly or from wear, you'll almost swear a Rod or piston is on its way out, I had a 3.0 in my previous boat replaced timing gears twice. The first time gears got noisy I was told the motor was toast, I didn't believe it becuase I had been running it hard all weekend, If it was that bad it would come apart. If your mech got some heat to the crank, the crank gear may have been damaged.

Skipster1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Before you go nuts replacing stuff, try this. ( You don't mention engine, etc., but this idea applies to all similar problems).... if there is a cover over any of those parts - or near those parts - then check for a dent in it. If he hammered a lot he may have dented a cover and it may now be getting hit by the internal part.....thus sounding like a bad pushrod.<br />If he replaced a cover, pull it and see if there is any signs of wear.... it may be the wrong cover and something is hitting it inside.)

novelles

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the ideas but I still do not know what it is. I went today with a mercruiser mechanic and said the sound is not good. He sayed that we could try first replacing the harmonic balancer (it is for sure bent and messed) to see if that helps but he would remove again the engine and the oil pan to take a look to the crankshaft, rods and pistons. Well, it sounds to me like a whole new repair so I would like to read some more ideas before taking the wrong decision.<br /><br />Before replacing the timing cover I took a look at the timing gears and they looked fine. Sound it is not coming from the front cover and it looks like the correct one so it is not that.<br /><br />What I do not really know is how is it possible to have a good engine before replacing de front cover and have a broken engine afterwards. Is it really possible to break something inside by just removing the harmonic balancer incorrectly?<br /><br />This is going to take forever because the mechanic that did the repair is going to say engine was wrong before.<br /><br />HELP PLEEEEEEAAASE!!!!

Bondo

Staff member

Beating on the End of the Crankshaft with a BFHammer,<br />Can Easily Destroy a motor........<br />A Crankshaft will Not take Any Kind of Lateral Load..... No Pushing.... NO Beating........<br /><br />But, I have faith, that You're going to get Lucky....<br />And replacing the Balancer, the Right Way,<br />Is going to Cure Your Problems.........

novelles

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your ..... FAITH!<br /><br />Would you try just replacing the balancer before doing anything else? The tac-tac-tac noise sounds like hell and for both mechanics sounds like a messed rod.

Bondo

Staff member

Would you try just replacing the balancer before doing anything else?
Ayah.......<br />It's Cheaper,+ Easier than tearing down the Whole Motor.........<br />Besides, You're going to Need the New Balancer for the motor..... <br />Even IF it needs a Rebuild..........

novelles

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you. I will try to have just the balancer replaced and will check how engine sounds.<br /><br />I will keep posting any news.

novelles

Seaman Apprentice

Bad news about my problem. Mechanic doesn't want to fix the engine or replece the damaged balancer so I decided to take the boat to the water to enjoy it for the rest of the season and make a formal complaint in the meantime but problems keep going. As soon as I run the engine, exhaust was not correctly clamped and water started to come into the bilge. I had to fix it myself. Then, after one hour trip at 3.500 RPM max, I took a look at the bilge and discovered THERE WAS OIL AGAIN IN THE BILGE!!!!<br /><br />Engine is leaking oil again after replacing the timing cover. I spent a lot of money to solve an oil leak and now I've got a leaking and noise engine. Should I kill the mechanic?? I'm taking this to my lawyer this week to take this people to court because I don't even want them trying to fix it... they would brake for sure something else!!!<br /><br />Anyone has had any similar experience with a repair? What can be wrong with the timing cover to have a leak again with a new seal? Is it a worn crankshaft or a bad installation?<br /><br />Thanks

chmath

Cadet

If I where you I would contact the manager or owner face to face about the work or lack of on your motor......If they wont stand behind there work and you are not able to resolve it with them I would quickly contact a attorney and also another mechanic to back you up...Show him your invoice and see what he thinks and get as much info as you can from him....