Merc 1982 3.0L no water circulation

matthewpa

Cadet
Went to change the oil on the boat today. Started the water flow with the ear muffs to warm up the engine. Thermostat usually opens at 160 and lets the water flow. Engine approached high 190's and I shut her down.

This is the first time since winterization the boat has been run. Everything was circulating fine before winterization, otherwise I would suspect the deal would have told me. Cooled it down and took her to the boat landing. Same issue, shut her down again once it reached into the 190's (I am guessing on temp as the gauge does not actually show this).

The boat is a 1982 with only 179 hours on everything, mint. I have owned it for two summers now. I am not sure if the impeller has ever been changed. I have it at the dealer now.
Does this sound like a thermostat issue or a impeller issue? Engine runs perfect, started right up after the winter.
What in storage would cause water circulation to just stop?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Merc 1982 3.0L no water circulation

(I am guessing on temp as the gauge does not actually show this).

Ayuh,.... What Does the Gauge actually show,..??
I am not sure if the impeller has ever been changed. I have it at the dealer now.

Ayuh,....... I'm pretty darn Sure,... That's the Problem......

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

My money too would be on the impeller. After sitting all winter in one position, if it is old, then the rubber gets hard and prone to breaking.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

An 82 impeller that has never been changed ????? I find that totally impossible. They should be changed every other year. Some make it ten, but 26 Years !!!! And people wonder why they overheat.

matthewpa

Cadet

Older gentlemen that was the orginal owner only ran it a couple hours every summer. I have put 59 hours on it in the last two summers, only 179 total hours. I will find out Wed. with respect to the impellers.

matthewpa

Cadet

UPDATE!!!!!!!!

Got a call from the dealer today. The entire water pump is melted and needs to be replaced. At least it was caught now. Something must of jammed the impeller.