Merc 165 Starter removal

donsmy

Cadet
I have a 1987 Mercruiser 4 Cyl 165 HP I/O I need to replace the starter. Can anybody offer advice on how to remove the inside 9/16 nut? I can loosen the outside nut with no problems. I can get a wrench on the inside nut but I don't have any room to move the wrench to loosen it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

ReeReeJr

Recruit
Re: Merc 165 Starter removal

Put a 9/16" boxed end wrench on the lock nut. You may have to disconnect one of the water hoses to access this nut.
Once you have the wrench on the nut, use a 9/16" socket on the head of the bolt to turn it loose (this is aft on the housing). There are two bolts going thru the starter mount flange to the back of the bell housing. Once you have removed these two bolts, you will need to remove the 2 bolts on the front mounting bracket. Then, more than likely, you are going to have to use a "sand" hammer or sledge hammer to knock the starter loose; it is probably corroded to the housing. Anyway, there are only those 2 thru bolts and the 2 bracket bolts and the wiring. Good Luck!!

ReeReeJr

freelunch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Be careful not to confuse the mounting hardware for the flex plate as fasteners for the starter, I did.

Last edited:

donsmy

Cadet

Thanks for the advice. Didn't know the bolts when all the way through. I will try it this weekend and let you know.

donsmy

Cadet

I replaced the starter without trouble and it seems to work fine. However, the problem I tried to eliminate is still there. Every once in a while, I turn the key and nothing happens. After three or four tries, it seems to start fine. It seems very intermittent. I have replaced the slave solenoid, the starter and starter solenoid. The battery is solid and holds a good charge. I've cleand and / or replaced all of the cable ends going to the battery and starter and solenoids.

Most of the time the problem appears when it's at operating temp. One it did it when it was cold. Once we had to be towed in. Two days later when I went to work on it it started fine. I can't really re-create it to fix it but I can't rely on it either.

Anyone have any good suggestions on what to look at next?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't forget, you still have all the small (yellow with red strip) wiring going to the ignition switch, thru the neutral safety switch along with all the connections for those wires that are possibility.
Next time it doesn't work, put a test light on the small terminal of the slave solenoid with the yellow/red wire, hit the key and see if it lights.

Have a look at this thread.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167035

Coors

Captain

I had the same problem last time on the water. I pulled and re-cleaned the assist solenoid-seemed to be a bad ground. The yellow/red wire ohm-ed out good, but still had a crappy connection(which looked shiny). I've been cleaning everything, and using di-electric grease on it.

Last edited: