Merc 165 Front pump seals questions

BrandonS

Seaman Apprentice
I have the 'coolant coming out of the weep hole' condition on my 165 (3.7L 4 cylinder). I have read the well written, however, drawn out directions on how to replace the seals. I was wondering if it is possible to replace the seals by only removing the impeller cover? Also, what parts are necessary to do the job? Other than the seals and gaskets.

Brandon

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Merc 165 Front pump seals questions

Check in the Adults Only section for your manual, a lot has to come off for access to the seals.

BrandonS

Seaman Apprentice

I have read the manuals and seen the schematics. To me it seems that the seals can technically be removed after the impellar is removed, which would only require removing the impellar cover, not the entire front cover.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

The way I read it ,the seals are installed from the inside of the cover. The first seal goes in to the stop, the second goes in the same way but flush with the inside cover edge.

The water pump seals are pressed in the timing cover. It needs to be removed to replace the seals. Also should replace the lower front seal around the balancer. It is also pressed on the timing cover. Feel the camshaft for any grooves worn in by the two seals. You may need to replace the camshaft or repair with speedi sleeves or the new seals might still leak.

BrandonS

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I know what I'm doing today. Is it possible to remove the front cover without removing the front engine mount? I have no way of hoisting the engine.

BrandonS

Seaman Apprentice

My engine mount is the tall type that appears to have enough clearance to remove the front cover. I think that the other writeup may have been done on a motor that has a different mount.

Yes it will clear the mount. Some people have clearance issues trying to fit the balancer puller/installer in place, and have to lift the engine. I did not have any issue.

Good Luck with it!

BrandonS

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info. I'll get started on it now.