Merc 135 twins

Mike Caspari

Cadet
I have another thread on here refering to some problems I've had but I also have a question about running the twin set-up. Does it do any good to try and stagger the throttle settings once on plane? I notice that when I get on plane and back the throttles back to half, if I then back one off a little more I don't notice much diff in speed.

imported_scott_m

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Merc 135 twins

You really can run them anyway you want, but why would you want to run out of sync on plane? Your boat will tend to want to turn in the direction of the motor turning the lower RPM.

Mike Caspari

Cadet

Hoping to develope a good fuel economy by staggering the throttles. I just don't know where the efficiency range is on the motors. I will usually back one off until it almost starts to drag and then bump it up a little.

AndyL

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just something to bear in mind is that if you back one off then I would assume you will increase the loading on the other motor possible leading to premature ageing of the motor mounts amongst other nasty to replace stuff. My boat was originally powered by two 50 hp mercs with mismatched throttles. On one engine all the rubber mounts were failed whilst the other was like brand new. Unfortunately the original owner had no tachos or other instrumentation which didn't help either.<br />Just my thoughts! <br />Andy