Merc 135(1991) Switchbox/flywheel.

Mike Caspari

Cadet
Heres a few things I found in the past.<br />1. Switchbox problem<br />- Symptoms<br />--- Intermittent loss of spark on one bank <br /> progressing to total loss on that bank.<br />--- Found loose/corroded ground on one of the<br /> switchboxes and repaired it. No help.<br />--- swapped the inner with the outer, same<br /> bank still bad. problem did not move.<br />- Fix action- replace both switchboxes, <br /> ouch!!!<br /><br />2. Flywheel Magnets<br />- Symptoms<br />--- Hard to crank, seemed to run ok but I <br /> still had other issues to work out at<br /> the time.<br />--- Found this problem by accident during<br /> a complete visual inspection<br />--- Over half the magnets had come loose <br /> and shifted inside the flywheel.<br /> 4. This happened on both motors<br />--- Fix action- 2 flywheels are expensive so <br /> against reputable advice, and because I'm<br /> cheap, I decided to mark the flywheel and <br /> remove the 8 bolts that hold it to the <br /> Motor. The proper fix was to get the <br /> special little mercury puller and replace<br /> the entire mechanism, no thank you.<br /> I figured it couldn't hurt to try and epoxy<br /> the magnets back into place, so thats what <br /> I did.<br />--- Motors run good with descent power. Still<br /> need to check timing though.