merc 115hp (max rpm?)

trussmonkey

Seaman Apprentice
quick question
got an "82" 115hp; (currently running MPH @ 5800 rpm) on a 16.5ft tri-haul

what's the max rpm for this motor?
what rpm should I be trying to get to?

I'm happy with the speed, but I don't wont to burn up the engine! (just got it running)

mwinchel

Seaman Apprentice
Re: merc 115hp (max rpm?)

Hey truss monkey what size prop and what pitch are you running. When you are running 5800 rpm how many people do you have on your boat and how fast are you going. The reason i am asking i is i bought a boat last year a 1971 manatee that is also a trihaul. My boat came with a 2 blade 19pitch prop on it. I usually take 4 to 5 people with me and i can not get my boat to do over 4000 rpm before it falls on its face. When i give it the last little bit of throttle it will bog down and i will have to pull back to neutrel and let the motor idel for a couple secounds and then i can start back into it again. I can never get over 4000 rpm. It pushes us fine but i know i have more power to free up my boat is only 14.5 feet long. Let me know any help will be great thanks

croSSed

Petty Officer 1st Class

You wouldn't want to run it at 5800 for very long. The factory manual says that the max rpm for this motor is 5500.

TG

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Hey truss monkey what size prop and what pitch are you running. When you are running 5800 rpm how many people do you have on your boat and how fast are you going. The reason i am asking i is i bought a boat last year a 1971 manatee that is also a trihaul. My boat came with a 2 blade 19pitch prop on it. I usually take 4 to 5 people with me and i can not get my boat to do over 4000 rpm before it falls on its face. When i give it the last little bit of throttle it will bog down and i will have to pull back to neutrel and let the motor idel for a couple secounds and then i can start back into it again. I can never get over 4000 rpm. It pushes us fine but i know i have more power to free up my boat is only 14.5 feet long. Let me know any help will be great thanks

Mwinchel
You really should post your own thread, however, your describing a lean condition at WOT that WILL toast your engine if left not corrected imediately.

Make one careful test run and have an assistant pump the primer bulb to assist the fuel pump while you add throttle, if this improves the motor performance then immediately and carefully return to the boat ramp and take it home, rebuild or replace your fuel pump, also check the condition of all hoses, replace all stiff/cracking hose. Running an engine lean WILL turn it into a great boat anchor.