Merc 115 "tower of power" water pump question

I noticed this weekend that my pee-hole wasn't peeing.It was just dribbling water. I checked for obstructions and found nothing. I'm wandering if my impeller needs replacing. How do I know for sure if this is the case without removing the lower unit? I watched a video on youtube and it looks simple enough. Any Ideas?

Jim662

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Merc 115 "tower of power" water pump question

Most recommendations are to replace it every year. If you haven't replaced it, its time. Its also the simplest thing you can do to try to restore water flow. Everything else is much more difficult.

Thanks, Jim. I inherited the motor from my late step-father, and I think he replaced it last summer, or maybe the summer before last. Also, Am i correct in assuming that the pressure from the water hose using muffs will create a false idea of what the pump is actually pumping?

FireCapt

Cadet

It would definitely be advisable to replace the impeller once a year on that motor. Some knowledgeable people on here believe that worn impellers cause the top cylinder to overheat and fail on these type of motors (apparently fairly common) due to inadequate pressure/flow.

Not my knowledge... I'm just passing on what I've learned here.

After much struggle, cussing, and fussing. I got the impeller rplaced. A little different than the youtube vid on the subject. I'm wondering, is there some lube that needs to be replaced while I have the LU off?