Merc 1 drive door stop

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok so i got my intermediate shift lever and installed it no problem... also got the drive back on with no problems... drive was in forward...<br /><br />ok so I started her up and prop wouldnt spin in forward or rev... now mind you it was working fine a week ago when i started my cam seal job... i did remove the drive so i could lift the engine...<br /><br />now all the direction i have read state that I need to push on the shift cable while someone spin s the prop counter clockwise (their counter clockwise or mine?) anyways no matter how hard i push on the damn shift cable the prop continues to spin, both ways. <br /><br />no check this out I can pull the shift cable and it will come out about 3/4" and will enguage the prop in forward rotation, this is bass ackwards for everything i have read. <br /><br />also whe the prop is enguaged i will kill the engine and go to see if the prop is securly enguaged and it never is... <br /><br />this is killing me!! i feel completley dumb that i cant get this figured out!!<br /><br />kid :confused:

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Merc 1 drive door stop

so i pulled it back off to make sure everything was mint and it was... so i did a test<br /><br />wuth the drive off i was easily able to move the shift cable a good 2-3" back and forth... but when I install the drive i can only get it to budge 3/4" or so... how hard should it be to to move the shift cable when the drive is on? <br /><br />man everyhting is lined up drive slides in no problem... where do i go from here?

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You should be able to shift into forward with the cable by hand. Pushing cable end 'in' should put it in forward, spin prop counter clockwise to check if it is engaged in forward. The full shift range from forward to reverse should be the entire 2-3 inches you described.

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

see that is part of my problem is that i cant shift it into forward even with someone spinning the prop... its like something is bound up in the shift cable...<br /><br />now i did have to replace the intermediate shift shaft... 99% positive i installed it properly, but could that be part of my problem?

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok so i think its the imtermieiate shift shaft... what is the "correct" way to install the thing?<br /><br />is there anything I shouldnt do?

rattana

Chief Petty Officer

Before you put the two halves together you have to make sure the shift shaft in the lower unit is turned fully clockwise looking from the top to engage forward gear. At the same time turn the propshaft counter clockwise to hold it in forward gear. The shift shaft on the upper housing must face directly forward. Next make sure the waterpump tube and driveshaft splines line up as you put the two halves together. If neccessary turn the propshaft counter clockwise to help the lower and upper drive shaft to align. It is easier with 2 people as you need three arms. Before you install the drive on the boat try shifting it into forward and reverse with the shift shaft to verify that part is okay.

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

rattana<br /><br />i checked all of that stuff b4 i posted my problem here.... i am bring the boat by a mechanic buddy of mine this morning to see if he can work any magic

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok so heres the deal... somehow I snapped the head off the intermediate shift shaft when reinstalling my drive, it must of not been lined up perfectly or something.<br /><br />but anyways, i have since got a new one and now when I put the drive on all is well.<br /><br />but I cant shift, its like something is binding... now I know its not the shift cable or the arm of the cable... but i guess my question is i put enough pressure on the shift shaft to snap the head of it off, so in doing that could I have bent something or knocked something outa place? <br /><br />when the drive is off I can move the shift shaft and get the drive to lock in for and rev... but i cant do that when the drive is installed... i am thinking i bent something...<br /><br />and ideas?

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

Putting the two halves together...I found it easiest lay them on their sides on the bench and not fight gravity. I fear disrupting the soft rubber seal in the water pocket where the water tube inserts..sl

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the 2 halves went together easily, that seemed pretty straight forward... i really think that i bent/broke something in the lower unit...