Mer Carb - Choke

Mercruiser 5.7 - MerCarb 2 barrel

Working a hard start when warm problem. Looks like sticky float.
Question is this. Started diagnosis with choke first.
Engine cold and noticed the choke plates wide open.
Further investigation I see that the pressure of the idle speed screw
on the idle cam is holding the choke open. Slight movement on the throttle
is all it takes to release it to the closed position cold.
I have never had a problem starting this boat cold and only this year ran into the warm start issue. I typically use the starting procedure outlined in the sticky section so I assume my throttle pumps have released the plates.
This normal or what is my fix?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mer Carb - Choke

It might not hurt to rebuild that carb.

Keep in mind that the auto-choke should be completely out of the picture on a warm re-start.

I also went as far as to disconnect my automatic choke and I left it disconnected permanently.

I don't feel that you really need a choke on a warm weather or "summer-only" boat anyway. Mine starts just fine in Western Wa Spring or Summer temps.

regards,

Rick

jimbo3123

Seaman Apprentice

I have the same problem on my mercruiser 233 (Ford 351).

The choke sticks open when the engine is cold. I can get it to fall back closed by wiggling the throttle linkage on the carb, but It always re-sticks open when I throttle-up from the helm. (like when I try to give it some gas for starting).
I'd like to be able to start the engine cold without having to open up the engine compartment and fiddle with the carb.

I tried adjusting the idle screw and the bracket that holds it, but I haven't had much luck. I was looking into the rebuild kits, but it doesn't look like those include the idle screw or its cam.

Someone has to have a better solution. Obviously the choke worked properly at one time. I just wish I understood better what has changed and how I can get it back into working order.

Bondo

Staff member

I have the same problem on my mercruiser 233 (Ford 351).
Can anyone on here help with this one?

Ayuh,... Probably,.... Right after you start your Own thread, instead of Hyjacking this 1....