Memo to bosses – be afraid

Ralph 123

Captain
Memo to bosses – be afraid: Workplace violence, death threats surging<br />By John Strahinich<br />Friday, May 6, 2005<br /><br />Memo to Boston bosses and corporate chieftains everywhere: It isn't paranoia if your people really are out to get you. <br /> <br /> Nearly six out of 10 companies say disgruntled employees have threatened to assault or assassinate senior managers in the past year, and they have made these threats either in person or in an e-mail, a nationwide survey shows. <br /> <br /> Some 17 percent of the companies reported that enraged and embittered employees had deliberated downloaded computer viruses onto corporate computers, and 10 percent said workers had tampered with their products. <br /> <br /> Likewise, some 82 percent of top executives say the number of violent incidents at their workplaces has increased over the past two years, according to the poll of 602 companies nationwide. <br /> <br /> The reason for all this work rage: The softening economy, said Paul Viollis, president of Risk Control Strategies, a New York security consulting firm. <br /> <br /> Everything from downsizing to outsourcing and offshoring and pay cuts and wage garnishments,'' Viollis told the Herald. <br /> <br /> Things are only going to get worse for (human resources) managers and security managers,'' Viollis added. <br /> <br /> In fact, Viollis believes workplace violence is becoming an epidemic. He cited a recent report from the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health showing the United States averages 17 workplace homicides a week. <br /> <br /> Murders accounted for 16 percent of all worker deaths in 2003. Homicides rank third among causes of work fatalities, after highway accidents and falls, according to the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics. <br /> <br /> For all that, few companies are doing anything about workplace violence, the survey shows. Only 15 percent of the companies said they had hiked spending to combat workplace violence. <br /> <br /> Barely 11 percent said they had trained HR managers to handle firings of potentially violent workers. <br /> <br /> And a meager 2 percent said they had trained workers to recognize and respond to warning signs of violence. <br /> <br /> The bottom line,'' Viollis said, is that we have a high probability of workplace violence, and yet we aren't taking responsibility to prevent it.''

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: Memo to bosses – be afraid

That covers it in my position. Responsibility with no authority to match.

D

DJ

What do we expect.<br /><br />We have railed against all forms of corporations and authority, in this country, for decades now.<br /><br />We're reaping what we (society) has sown.<br /><br />No wonder HR Mangaers aren't trained in this. With todays litigious society, who determines if someone is "violent"?

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

While the Corp Execs keep taking for themselves and cutting for the employed masses I believe the trend will continue. It's not the noisy dog I'm worried about, its the quiet ones that sneak up on you that scare me.

D

DJ

Judging a group (executives) as all the same is dangerous.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep<br /> and its even scarier when your self employed and the employee cusses out the boss, walks of, gets drunk and calls in the next day. nice thing is I always get rehired :) .<br /> I did work in some machine shops with some serious nut jobs. one or two had the managment terrified and very much intimidated. quite a few guys had pistols in the top of their tool boxes just in case. man texas was wonderful.<br /> if some shooter had showed up on the shop floor would have been 10-15 shooting back. never saw it but was rumoured the late president of the company carried a model 1911 as well.

rwise

Captain

now boss about that raise,,,,,,,,

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> yep<br /> and its even scarier when your self employed and the employee cusses out the boss, walks of, gets drunk and calls in the next day. nice thing is I always get rehired :) .<br /> I did work in some machine shops with some serious nut jobs. one or two had the managment terrified and very much intimidated. quite a few guys had pistols in the top of their tool boxes just in case. man texas was wonderful.<br /> if some shooter had showed up on the shop floor would have been 10-15 shooting back. never saw it but was rumoured the late president of the company carried a model 1911 as well.
I think you are in serious need of a megadose of ExLax...or else you are seriously paranoid. Are you really convinced that just because you cross an imaginary line into a place called Texas, there is a gun-toting desperado behind every bu---I mean cactus?<br /><br />ROTFLMAO!

crab bait

Captain

i guess the new phrase for goin' 'postal'is<br /><br /><br /> "goin' cubical"

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dogsdad<br /> when I lived and worked outside foat wurth in the 80's was a wonderful place. about the only place you could leagally carry a sidearm,which I did a lot while delivering cattle and such, that most would think twice about running in a machine shop and opening fire. I also worked at an automotive dealership in the area that some of the techs would keep the side arm in the tool box during the day rather than in the car. helped keep them from being stolen. yes I am guilty of the tool box sidearm myself.<br /> some of the places I had to go you could drive 3 or 4 hours and see nothing but fence posts.<br /> I imagine its still about the same in the rural areas outside of the DFW area. at one point I lived on 174 outside of godly. was 20 miles from nowhere and awful lonely at night. kept the ol sidearm present.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

and its even scarier when your self employed and the employee cusses out the boss, walks of, gets drunk and calls in the next day. nice thing is I always get rehired
:D If I had a nickle for everytime I fired myself..... :p