Megan's Law Website

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
I've been wanting to post this for awhile, but didn't want to so close to the holidays. I feel its a great site and I'll tell you why. I feel pretty safe where I live in this little mountain town, but I feel a bit less safe after looking at this site. I put in my zip code and it listed about 20 sex offenders(some repeat offenders) that live right around the corner from me. This site shows their picture, if they have scars and what offense(s) they were convicted of. Scarey? Heck ya, but at least I know who lives around the corner. I don't know if other states have a site like this, but I think its neccessary.<br />Bassy<br />Megan's Law website

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Megan's Law Website

There is a registered sex offender in my town too. Our son said kids were talking about it at school (10th grade). Wife found his address on one of those websites. Not going to keep an eye out for this guy specifically, but it is reenforcement that you need to keep a close watch on your kids and who you leave them with. We are very careful with our 5yr old daughter. Now that she likes to visit her friends for an afternoon, we prefer to have her friends come play at our house rather than leave her at her friends house. Or my wife spends time there with the other mother while the kids play.<br /><br />How come we didn't have these problems when we were little kids? I was 5 in 1962, and we would go all over the neighborhood without any worries. <br /><br />Things are different now. Too bad.<br /><br />Mark.

KaGee

Admiral

I know knowledge is power... sometimes ignorance is bliss.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Personally I have always had a problem with those "sex offender registration" laws. A person who is a danger to society ought to be locked up, and one who is not ought not to be punished after they do the time. I know that's a "perfect world" scenario. But it bothers me to have these known predators living among us, most (many?) of whom can't kick their "habit" no matter how hard they try, and some of whom undoubtedly will not be able to resist temptation. Too bad there's not a pill or an operation we could give 'em. Maybe we could bring back frontal lobotomies?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

In WI: http://offender.doc.state.wi.us/public/ <br /><br />21 in my zip code, an area with a population of about 4000<br /><br />574 in my 3 digit zip code area<br /><br />Kindof agree with jtexas. Sax offender registries don't differentiate betrween pedaphiles and other sex offenders. Some of these people are guilty of getting their girlfriends pregnant while they were teenagers.<br />And now they are married and raising a family together. I work with a guy in this situation.<br /><br />A bigger problem is that there is no where for the released convicts to go. They are supposed to be released back into the community from where they came. But the law also restricts where they can live, and many times there are no location that meet the rules specified in the law. Then there is the inability to find a landlord that is willing to rent to them.<br /><br />There is one guy from Milw that they have been trying to locate an apartment for, for over 2 years. Nowhere to put him.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

All states are supposed to have one. If you are wondering go to your states state police website or state government site. A lot of radio and TV stations also publish these stats.<br />One comfort though is it takes very little to be a registered sex offender. The offenders could be as little as a 19 year old caught with a 15 year old girlfriend where both are in love but mom and dad took offnese all the way to the predator serial rapist. The site should also have the level of offender the person has been listed as. There should be a low level offender for those caught in a bad situation to the high level for the predator. They should also have a listing for those likely to offend again. <br />It is in one way a relief to know these people are around, and another way it is frightening to know.<br />Everyone convicted of any sex offense from rape to unwanted touching must register. The ones who have registered usually are not a concern. It is the ones who refuse to register that are the real threats. <br />Around here when an offender is released or moves to the area and registers as a sex offender it not only goes out on the website, they also announce it on the radio every morning for a week. There is one man convicted of unwanted touching a co-worker years back, when the first registration law came in. No effenses since then. he comes here in the summers and lives for 3 months. He must register every year as soon as he gets to town. Then there is another convicted of sexual assault on numerous young boys back before the registration law came in. This man does not have to register.<br />Good job letting everyone know this information. Anyone with cildren should know about these sites and should be aware of who is around them, but remember not everyone registered is a predator looking for a victim.