Mechanical Safe Lock

alldodge

Staff member
Looks like I'm going to get try my hand at Locksmith

Bought 2 Browning gun safes from a guy in Birmingham AL yesterday. Both are open but he does not have the combo and the serial number labels are not on the safes. No serial numbers means Browning (Pro Steel Safes) can not help

First has a fire rating and rear door panel looks to be welded on, but just got them home so more on that later. The Second is not fire rated and rear door panel is bolted on. The Second should be remove panel and just replace the lock, cost maybe $125

Browing Safe.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Use a stethoscope and turn slowly. We figured the combination to a safe my buddy bought.

alldodge

Staff member
Use a stethoscope and turn slowly. We figured the combination to a safe my buddy bought.
I have one of those but not sure it will work. These looks use a open space in the three disc to align so bolt can be retracted. The combo uses a 4, 3, 2 turn lock. Four turns left and stop on first number on forth turn. Three turns right and stop on second number on third turn. Two for third

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The 4 turns left are to reset all the discs. You are listening to click....click....click...click...squick..as the disc engages the next
First one is easiest

alldodge

Staff member
Well yuk, yuk well today I do lock smithing ;)
:unsure: but I'm no safe cracker with a stethoscope o_O

Took the back off the lighter one and removed the back (10 3/8 bolts) cover, lock cover reinforcement plate and combo cover. I noticed there are 6 discs which rotate in pairs.

The furthest disc set is 1st number, center 2nd and closest 3rd number. The latch hook when aligned will drop into the notch so when rotated to the Right it will raise the bolt.

So I made a small mark when the rear notch aligned, larger mark when 2nd aligned and can see when 3rd does it. It took several tries to get it right because tolerances are so tight, but it worked

Lifted open the fire safe and it's not welded, it's also bolted same as other one, so Yeah I'll be able to do same it the other. The biggy is at no cost

Slide1.JPGsafe 3.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
For S and giggles I told the Doctoral degree Lawyer I bought the safes from, it took me very little time to find the combos. The immediate comment was how? He said it would take at least 1K to fix it

There was other conversation but in short I told him a "Dumb ole Country Boy will Survive"

airshot

Rear Admiral
Glad you have dial locks and not push button locks, those are not worth fixing. My locksmith friend has used a battery and a couple wires to open push button locks in less than a minute.