Mechanical Fuel Pump Swap to Electric

Sponge Bob

Cadet
Last weekend the mechanical fuel pump on my '81 Mercruser I/L 6 250ci 165hp (S/N 5836000)gave up. Yesterday I bought an electric fuel pump, and filter. I called my local boat dealer to get a price on an oil pressure cut-off switch. He had no idea what I was talking about, and suggested that I replace the mechanical pump with another mechanical pump ($136.15). Does anyone have a part number, or a place to look for one of these switches?<br /><br />The electric fuel pump (Purolator Pro12sv) says that it was designed for automobiles, generators, agricultural, and marine equipment. However, I can't find a USCG approval anywhere. If it where truely designed for marine applications, wouldn't it have one?<br /><br />Thanks

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mechanical Fuel Pump Swap to Electric

Sponge Bob,<br />you are heading towards a dangerous set up. I have seen this type of set-up over the years and I don't like them. This pump is for marine generator, air compressors, etc. not the primary fuel supplier for your engine.<br />After the engine pumps sufficient oil pressure the switch kicks in delevering fuel to the engine.<br />If you put non USCG approved things on your engine your are opening yourself to a lawsuit if passengers are injured while boating with you.<br />Go to a local NAPA parts store, they also sell USCG approved parts for your boat, check around on the net, a new correct pump should be $65.00 or less.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Got my 12v. inline pump at NAPA too. I don't think the USCG markings were on the pump though, may have just been some fine print on the box. <br /><br />Good Luck!

Sponge Bob

Cadet

Thanks, CC. That's why I was asking. I don't want to install a fuel pump that wasn't designed for this application. By "correct pump" do you mean an OEM mechanical pump or an approved electric pump?

Sponge Bob

Cadet

Luna Sea, I've check the packaging and the pump itself. No USCG marking of any kind. I don't really trust what the manufacturer says on the packaging since there aren't any USCG markings. I suppose it's my fault for not checking for them when I bought it. Live and learn. Thanks for the reply.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Three,<br /> requirements for a marine electric fuel pump.12 volts when cranking,12 volts when running,no voltage when not running (no oil pressure).<br /><br />Beyond that rusting of the pump could be an issue.<br />But on the newer engines that have the correct electric fuel pump,the replacement comes unpainted....Go Figure.<br />DHP

Bondo

Staff member

The Replacement Mechanical Fuel Pump for your motor is;<br />NAPA #18-7278 <br />$74.22 list....<br />$47.74 jobber.....

Sponge Bob

Cadet

Thanks, Bondo. Pardon my ignorance...Jobber? :confused: Is that a discounted price for a mechanic?<br /><br />I found this on ebay. Will it work?<br /> Fuel Pump on Ebay <br /><br />$65 shipped beats $74 + tax.<br /><br />Thanks again for all the help. I'd be up the creek with only a paddle if it weren't for you guys.

Bondo

Staff member

Retail...<br />Wholesale.....<br />List...<br />Jobber......<br /><br />It's just a Word used in the Parts Biz.........<br /><br />The 1 You get is determined by the Kid at the Counter............ ;)

Sponge Bob

Cadet

Got it. So, you're saying I should send my big-breasted wife to buy it? ;) Thanks for the clearification.<br /><br />What say ye on the ebay pump? Will it work?

Bondo

Staff member

According to that page,<br />That pump fits Every Boat Ever Built......<br /><br />Ya, I'm Sure, That If it's the Right 1,<br />It'll Work......... <br />
So, you're saying I should send my big-breasted wife to buy it?
That just Might Work.............<br />Especially when she Knows that jobber is $47.74............... ;)

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Bondo:<br />I have an outdrive I need you to repair for me.<br />It is an Alpha-1, MR, #1-R, maybe some 888 parts, generation II, but definitely pre Bravo. ;) <br /><br />Sponge Bob<br />Definitely send your wife to buy the fuel pump, that the best laugh of the day.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayah,<br /><br />cc lancer, I got Your Pre-Bravo.............<br /><br />Can't You Read the Pictures.............<br />The Text Shows it on Another Page............. :rolleyes:

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

To be legal and safe in a boat, a fuel part should have a tag that says it is either Coast Guard approved under part 183 of the Code of Federal Regulations, or have an SAE J1171 sticker on it.<br /><br />There are also Federal laws on how to mount, wire up, and plumb electric pumps on gasoline boat motors.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by Sponge Bob:<br /> Got it. So, you're saying I should send my big-breasted wife to buy it?
:eek: :eek: <br /><br /> ;)

Sponge Bob

Cadet

I broke down today and bought a mechanical pump from Napa. I must not be very pretty. They charged me $74.50. Oh well. Thanks for all your help guys.

ron7000

Banned

jegs.com has holley marine electric fuel pumps for about the same price. I'm sure they carry the oil pressure switch for it too. The pressure switch should be available anywhere though, the problem is if you don't give the kid behind the counter the year, make, model, and transmission type of a car, he doesn't know what to do or where to look.<br />The problem with going to the electrical pump setup is you have to do all the wiring and mounting for it. I will go that route when the mech. pump craps on my 351w. But don't feel bad, I paid $140 for either a reman pump or to have that one rebuilt sometime back in the 90's. $75 I think is pretty good, especially if it's a 10 min install and it works.<br /><br />summittracing.com, and jcWhitney are two other places you can pick up some decent marine parts at good prices.

Sponge Bob

Cadet

Thanks, Ron. I forgot all about JCWhitney. I'll have to check those sites out.

KaGee

Admiral

I had seriously considered this modification. The previous boat owner had used teflon tape on the threaded fuel fitting. NEVER USE TEFLON TAPE WHEN THREADING INTO CAST ALUMINUM ! He cracked the housing. My 3.8L OMC uses a Carter fuel pump that is expensive and getting hard to find. Lucky for me, a friend of a friend had an old pump that needed a rebuild and I used his housing on my pump. (Pump was like new, except for the crack, what a waste).<br /><br />My local AUTO ZONE had all the parts necessary and it would have cost about $70 all said and done. As for the "marine" approved, the pump was not, but it was totally sealed.