measuring actual RPM

wanna-be

Petty Officer 3rd Class
not sure the tach on my 91 Glastron is accurate and want to test the rpms independent of tach. what do ya'll suggest?

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander
Re: measuring actual RPM

A lot of timing lights register rpms off no1 firing signal and give an independant measure of rpm...

wanna-be

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the acron is a nice one. can you use it while in water at WOT? i have a timing light but never noticed a RPM reading. thanks guys, keep ya'll posted

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Most timing lights don't indicate RPM.

wanna-be

Petty Officer 3rd Class

does anyone know if dwell/tach meter can be hooked up while in water at wot?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The only way to verify the tach reading is to use a known accurate tach for comparison. Is the dwell/tach known to be accurate?

Seriously, if they read the same thru the RPM range, it is likely that both are accurate. if the readings diverge, one obviously is not accurate.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

does anyone know if dwell/tach meter can be hooked up while in water at wot?

You may need to hook up some longer leads to make it reach your console so you can watch them safely. Zip tie wires to something solid and out of the way of hot/ moving parts .Some wire and a couple 'gator clips should do the trick .

wanna-be

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The only way to verify the tach reading is to use a known accurate tach for comparison. Is the dwell/tach known to be accurate?

Seriously, if they read the same thru the RPM range, it is likely that both are accurate. if the readings diverge, one obviously is not accurate.

s/b...its still on the shelf at Autozone

wanna-be

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You may need to hook up some longer leads to make it reach your console so you can watch them safely. Zip tie wires to something solid and out of the way of hot/ moving parts .Some wire and a couple 'gator clips should do the trick .

i'll try it....can't hurt and really want to satisfy my curiosity. tach show 4k rpms at wot but sb 4500 rpms for 5.7L merc

rbh

Fleet Admiral

4000 may be all your getting anyway, everyone suggested triming up when I get on plane to achieve the 4700 rpm the engine is supposed to deliver at factory red line not the 4000 I am getting.
rob

wanna-be

Petty Officer 3rd Class

trimmed up i get maybe 4.1, 4.2 rpm sb more