MCM 7.4 fuel pump noise

collawash

Seaman
Bought a used 99' Chaparral Sig 27 w/ MCM 7.4 MPI with B3 drive. I've been through through hell getting into shape, but I'm finally there. <br /><br />Originally as I turned the key before cranking it over, the dash alarm would sound AND I could hear the fuel pump make a loud buzzing type sound. I know it was the fuel pump because I've had my head inches from it. The noise only lasted for 1 or 2 seconds. I replaced the fuel lines (leaking) and pump (corrosion). I solved the leaking fuel problem and the fuel pump noise was still there. I've only put 6 hours on the boat since then. The new fuel pump made the same noise as the original one. I just figured the pump had to prime/pressurize the system. <br /><br />Now sometime in the last 6 hours, the fuel pump quit making that buzzing noise. I do remember the fuel pump noise while testing on muffs in the driveway, but I don't know if quit immedately thereafter. I have absolutely no performnace issues whatsoever! At WOT 4600 rpms, my 28 ft, 7000# cruiser scoots along at 43 mph and burns 28 gph.<br /><br />This probably is a really dumb question, but is that buzzing fuel pump noise normal? I'm hoping it was never normal and I just advertantly fixed another problem.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: MCM 7.4 fuel pump noise

In my opinion, (other guy's like Don S And Rodbolt are more familiar with marine injection systems) if the boat is running fine, I wouldn't think about it. You could always put a fuel pressure guage on the fuel rail and make sure it is within specs. I THINK this might be the cause of this situation: You said that you did work on this boat "getting it into shape"(including replacing bad fuel lines). When the pump is "sucking air" and trying to provide proper pressure it will make more noise. Once the pump is not sucking air and once the injector seals are wet and sealing, and the fuel rail "charged" with the right amount of fuel, the pump will be quieter at start up. In my opinion, if it starts easily, idles smooth, and especially if it hits maximum W.O.T. without hesitation I would be happy.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> I am with waterone1<br /> the pumps turn on for 1-2 sec at key on power. if any air or no line pressure the pump sounds like a rock grinder. howerver if all is running well they are working. most of those engines run 2 pumps. one to feed low pressure fuel to the vapor seperator/cooler and the other to give high pressure ,35-45 psi, to the fuel rail.<br /> but if your not having problems dont chase ghosts :)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The other guys are right, the noise is normal, and you have probably gotten used to hearing it and don't notice it while the engine hatch is closed. You only have 1 fuel pump on your Mercruiser engine. Volvo uses 2.<br />The pump only runs for the first couple of seconds only to pressureize before starting, after the engine starts cranking and running, the pump will start operating again, but you may not be able to hear it.

collawash

Seaman

Well, I'm not going to chase this ghost anymore, thanks everyone.