mc-1 upper to lower nyloc nuts

ziggy

Admiral
for my '75 mc-1 drive.
i want to replace my nyloc nuts for the 5 studs.
can i use ss nyloc nuts from the hardware store or do i need to use oem nuts like i will be for holding the drive to the bell housing.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: mc-1 upper to lower nyloc nuts

DO NOT use hardware store SS Nylocs, the OEM are not SS, they are chrome plated brass. SS has a bad habit of galling the threads and making it impossible to remove the nut from the stud. Brass would work, the OEM are chrome plated brass.

ziggy

Admiral

thanks Don S,
chrome plated brass is better than plain brass?
i remove these nuts yearly.

Don S

They don't hold any better, just the chrome keeps them from discoloring like brass does.

ziggy

Admiral

thanks again Don S. discoloring i can live with easy....
as for when i get to putting the drive back on, the 6 nuts that hold that on are on order at my local dealer...

thanks again for the heads up. glad i ask the question, it dawned on me that they might not be ss since i knew the nuts that hold the drive on were not.

off to he hardware store to see if they got some brass nyloc nuts for me..

Don S

The nuts that hold the drive together, are the same thing as the ones that hold the drive to the bellhousing. Same exact part number.

Bondo

Staff member

The nuts that hold the drive together, are the same thing as the ones that hold the drive to the bellhousing. Same exact part number.

Ayuh,.... 7/16", fine thread ain't they,..??

As common as hen's teeth 'round here in the local Nut supply stores...
Coarse thread are a dime a dozen...

ziggy

Admiral

As common as hen's teeth 'round here in the local Nut supply stores...
hum..... that appears to be the case here too. not only didn't they have fine thread, they didn't have any. tried my local hardware store w/o success. and they usually got what i want. next stop a fastenall store. brass yes, nyloc brass, no. we can order them... :( guess i'll have some oem nuts. dealers gonna call me back and let me know if i'm ordering or picking up.... to bad i didn't have the foresight to pre order... the halfs are mated on the bench waiting for some chrome plated brass nyloc nuts now..

edit... wow, looks like them nuts are pretty pricy.. $3.30 ea... :eek: guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do....

Last edited:

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

You remove yearly to inspect, grease splines, grease u-joints.

I have been using medium lock tight on my outdrive nuts for years, no problems. The nylock has wore out and I decided not to replace them.
Mine are not chrome plated brass, they look like regular old stainless steel nuts.

Just lightly wire brush the threads clean on the studs because of the lock tight residue.
take a small pick and pick out the lock tight residue in the nuts, ready to reinstall.

I have yet to have any of them loosen.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

DO NOT use hardware store SS Nylocs, the OEM are not SS, they are chrome plated brass. SS has a bad habit of galling the threads and making it impossible to remove the nut from the stud. Brass would work, the OEM are chrome plated brass.

For the Gen II, yes, but the MC-1 used 'standard' 316 SS....

ziggy

Admiral

ya achris, i'm replacing them because i think there from '75 and the nyloc part is tired imho. least compared to a new one.

For the Gen II, yes, but the MC-1 used 'standard' 316 SS....

hum....
010-2.jpg

well, that's one of the nuts.
what ever they are, i got oem ones on order. pn 11-34933.

putting the file to it didn't do much for me.
1. it's not magnetic
2. that's two swipes with a single cut rat tail file. that's a pretty deep cut for ss. more like what i'd have expected from brass, after i got through the chrome plating.
3. as the pic shows, the metal is not yellow as i'd expect brass to be. it does look like ss.

i must say, i've never had a file do that much damage to any of the stainless steel i deal with. brass, yes, that much damage... i don't know what it is... unless there's a softer stainless steel than i'm used to seeing.

Fun Times

Staff member

88-34933 NUT, (.437-20) Stainless Steel, DRIVESHAFT HOUSING TO GEAR HOUSING STUD

Don S

Go ahead and get yourself some cheap stainless nuts, when they gall, well, you were warned.
I've had more than my share of problems with aftermarket nylocs. Never problems with OEM nylocs. Maybe a differnt alloy of stainless, I don't know. Your choice, but when they gall and don't come off............................