May Day!

Aman

Cadet
I had my boat serviced by a local marina here in NJ. A 22ft I/O 1997 striper.
Had the yard tune up the engine and look for any other problems. The mechanic said all looked good except for the shift cable. I said to replace it. Picked up the boat last friday, and on saturday, I launched the boat with my two boys on board ready for a day of fishing. As soon as I easied up on the throttle I knew I was in trouble because I didn't feel the propeller engage. The winds were blowing and the current quickely took the 4000lb boat out and back several feet away from a pile of rocks. Achoring was not a good option because I wouldn't of been able to let out enough scope without crashing into the rock pile. There wasn't enough time to call out a may day and time was really going fast. I felt for my two boys they were safe on board the boat that was a calculated decision. I jumped into the water and towed the boat to the dock which was about 20 feet away and seconds from the rock pile. I took the boat back to the marina where it was serviced. Does anybody have any recommendations.

another todd

Seaman Apprentice
Re: May Day!

I recommend a new mechanic! The boating industry is full of "mechanics" who do poor quality work. How in the world could a mechanic replace something like a cable and not test it afterwards? Ask around, there are good shops out there, but IMO the good ones are way outnumbered by the so so or poor ones.