Maximum persons/capacity?

urcowboy

Cadet
I'm just curious, why do they put both limits on a boat? My boat lists 4 persons/600 lbs. The boat only has 2 seats that can be used while underway so what's up with the 4 person thing? It would seem that the max. weight would be the important factor. What if you wanted to take 4 or 5 smaller kids out for a joy ride? Seems they would probably take up less room than 3 or 4 men. Any comments? :confused:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Maximum persons/capacity?

I think the weight is the critical issue, Cowboy. I have a 17' Boston Whaler that is rated for 7 people and wouldn't dream of trying to cram that many bodies aboard. Weight, and how it is distributed, really affects stability, handling and safety.<br /><br />The risks I see in taking 4 or 5 little ones out (PFD'ed) at once is keeping them still, so they don't shift the weight around and mess up your control, and managing their rescue in the event of an accident or swamping.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

Raghauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

USCG requirements dictate that you can load the craft to the lesser of the two capacities... a single crewmember carrying a lot of cargo should be within the gross weight capacity listed. Likewise, crew should not exceed the max. no. of persons, and the sum total of their weight should be within the weight requirements. J.B. Cornwell brings up a very valid point as well... a bunch of roving little persons reaks havoc on a small craft's ballast.

urcowboy

Cadet

Well, guess I will leave one of my kids on the beach then! Don't want to get into trouble with the local water patrol. ;) Seriously, thanks for all the advise from everybody, both my posts and the others I have read. I have learned alot from all.<br />Thanks again!