max air

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class
When I go to the lake, it is a four to five hour pull at speeds up to 70 mph and temps that can get above 100. My boat is good sized to pull, it is a four winns 245 cuddy, I go to lake Powell, and it is in the middle of the desert in Utah and Ariz. I have had a few blowouts. Not really fun to have.

My questions are:

I ususally fill the tires to max air pressure, 50 psi. Is that the correct thing to do?
I have slowed down when is is hot outside and try to keep speeds around 65.

Is there anything else to do to avoid problems? Should I adjust air pressure differently.
The tires on the tandom trailer are about 3 years old, when should I replace them?

thanks
Spud

Bigprairie1

Commander
Re: max air

What type and size of truck do you have and equally important: what type and size of tires are you running?....how many plies? 8 or 10? (ideally should be 10)
Do you run the recommended original tires sizes or custom/alternate sizes? Standard/factory rims or aftermarket?
Fill us in with some specifics.
BP:cool:

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Trailer tires are only rated to 65 mph. I don't know what brand tire you have, but Goodyear says that for their marathon triler tire, if you want to run between 66 an 75 mph, then you should increase the cold inflation pressure 10 psi above what the sidewall says. Don't know why it wouldn't work for other brands, I just know i found it on goodyear's site. Don't take my word for it though, read it here:

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/marathon_gen_info_032806.pdf

fishrdan

Admiral

What is the loaded weight of your rig? If unsure, load the boat as you would have going to the lake (ice, gas, water, etc) and then weigh it at a truck stop scale. I bet you would be surprised at the weight. Now that you know the rigs weight, how does this figure into the load rating of the trailer tires?

I'm from Las Vegas and had tire problems until I went to a higher capacity tire. High temps and tires riding at their rated weight capacity was not a good thing.

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

First, sorry I have been busy, so sorry for not watching the questions.

1. My rig is either an '03 chev 2500 or my wifes '08 cad escalade. Beleive it or not, the Escalade is wonderful, tons of power and the six speed and height adjusting re-end is awesome.

2. Boat dry with trailer I guess would be close to 5000 lbs, loaded mid six's to even 7000 lbs., it is a pull for the truck. I usually have it loaded.

2. Since I blew out the (pos) Carlisle's, I just put on what I could find around town, they are not marathon's. I will check on the # of ply's and manufacturer. I suppose their just trailer tires that fit the trailer. I did not realize higher capicity tires are availible. This is what I need to find out.

thanks guys, the lake powell season is about over, and I need to address tires for next year.

spud

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

I checked my boat and the tires are called "DURO" or something like that, they are 4 ply.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Most trailer tires, regardless of size, are available in various "load ranges" which are specified by load range B, C, D, E, etc. My pontoon trailer has load range E tires which are 10 ply rated. The higher the load range, the more weight the tire is capable of handling. If you've been buying tires strictly by tire size alone, you perhaps have buying tires that do not have a high enough load range.