mastertech rebuild kits

dodl

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,<br /><br />Has anyone ever tried those rebuild kits by mastertech?<br />I have to change some gaskets on my Merc500, which ran pretty hot this year (bad impeller). Now, for the price of the gaskets here in Europe, i could get the complete rebuild kit! Since the engine was REALLY hot, i would like to give those kits a try. Maybe a good idea to overhaul the complete engine.<br /><br />I found only 2 postings regarding this, one said, they are not OEM, but aftermarket. Should i worry about quality?<br /><br />Would be a nice job for the boring wintertime :D <br /><br />thanks<br />martin

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: mastertech rebuild kits

mastertech is a good guy! he does good work and sells good products. id trust him with my motor any day.<br /><br />hes been doing this for a long time

KCLOST

Commander

Gaskets are gaskets.... IMO... Just torque correctly...<br /><br />But personally, I have never used them...

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

We've found a great deal of difference of quality in some gaskets. From what I understand he has done the research and uses good stuff. <br /><br />Good luck!

Clams Canino

Commander

I've had a few dealings with him and find him to be a straight shooter. <br /><br />Always use the Mercury gasket though on the innermost exhaust plate in a direct charge inline.<br /><br />-W

dodl

Seaman Apprentice

Hello,<br /><br />Thanks for your replies!<br /><br />The kits i mentioned do not just contain the gaskets, but also pistons, rings, bearings, everything you need for a major rebuild. All that for 550$<br /><br />In Austria i have to pay about 200$ for a few gaskets.<br /><br />That's why i will give them a try. Seems Mastertech is a good source :cool: <br /><br />thanks<br />martin