Massive tornado cluster hits. Please check in.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
For those of you that may not have heard, a massive storm supercell decended on southern WI Thursday, creating between 15 and 19 tornados in atleast 11 different counties. Several of these were HUGE twisters that left 15 mile long paths of distruction. Dozens and dozens of homes destroyed, hundreds (likely 1000+) damaged, dibris dropping from the sky 60 miles from where it was picked up.<br />In one town, every building was damaged or destroyed.<br />There were many injured.<br /><br />Amazingly, only one fatality. A man that was in his basement with his wife when the twister took his house, and part of the chimney collapsed on him. The house is gone, GONE, not in the area, GONE .<br /><br />Here is a picture of somebody worried about his boat as the funnelcloud approaches.<br /> http://www.jsonline.com/multimedia/...om/graphics/news/img/aug05/storms/twister.jpg <br /><br />We have more than a dozen iboats members in the area that was severely effected. A prayer for their safety would be nice.<br /><br />And if you happen to be in the area, report in and let us know you are ok.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Massive tornado cluster hits. Please check in.

We made it. My brother and I stopped along the way home from work at a high spot for some weather spotting and saw TWO tornadoes form from where we were. Amazing.<br /><br />I heard on TV that the average summer thundercloud reaches ten to fifteen thousand feet high and that this one reached fifty thousand feet. I'm not sure how this is even possible but it was a super storm to be sure and incredible to watch. I'm sorry for the victims though but we bounce back quick here in WI!

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Good to see that you fellas are ok, i hope that everyone else is also safe and have not suffer any severe losses.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Vlad D Impeller:<br /> Good to see that you fellas are ok, i hope that everyone else is also safe and have not suffer any severe losses.
Ditto, what an interuption to the late boating season.<br /><br />What would you do if your boat was in danger? Beach it and hope for the best?

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

My prayers are with all of you who were affected by this.<br />Bassy

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the concern of fellow iboaters Roscoe. I live about 8 minutes from Stoughton, where the huge tornado hit. I felt very lucky that my neighborhood did not get hit. My friend was even luckier. He has a house in Stoughton and the only damage that happened to him was two oak trees knocked down and he lost his deck furniture. He has no idea where they went?? Unfortunately, a barn and house about a 1/4 mile down from him was leveled. I'm going to be volunteering next week to help with clean-up and such. It was an unbelievable night of weather -- 36 tornados reported!! Here's a picture that I took of some of those super tall clouds. I took this from my bedroom window.
DSCF0083.jpg
[/IMG]

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmm, trying again...<br />
DSCF0083.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com">

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Here you go.<br /><br />
DSCF0083.jpg
<br /><br />AK Chappy

Pony

Rear Admiral

I usually love storms....but not like this. There were reports of peoples bank statements and such landing near me in menomonee falls.....thats at least 50-60 miles away

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by roscoe:<br />[QBAmazingly, only one fatality. A man that was in his basement with his wife when the twister took his house, and part of the chimney collapsed on him. The house is gone, GONE, not in the area, GONE.[/QB]
The owner of our Doggy Daycare, his wifes employee knows the guy who died in the tornados.<br /><br />Very tragic.<br /><br />We made it out ok. Didn't seem to rain at all by us. Weird. Glad to see everyone is OK.<br /><br />Sean

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class

I watched the storm clouds develope from our trucking dock about 10 miles north of the tornado in Stoughton. With no basement and just a metal building to hide in, my hair was on end for awhile. My boss who is from Kansas acted like it was no big deal until I showed him the funnel clouds over our terminal. Here's some articles and pics from the local paper:<br /><br /> http://www.madison.com/archives/read.php?ref=wsj:2005:08:19:486515:FRONT <br /><br /> http://www.madison.com/archives/read.php?ref=tct:2005:08:19:486579:FRONT <br /><br />I had just changed my homeowner insurance on Wednesday, it would've been something to see how good they are on claims the next day. Got insurance for my boat today

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Barlow ????<br />WillyB ??<br />Scoop????<br />Pointer ??<br />Birddog???

Ron G

Commander

Im glad yall are alright hope everbody else is.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Checking in, all is well. I am about 14 miles south of where the damage was. My neighbors son had bought a house that day in stoughton. Fortunately for them there was no damage to their new home. The damage just up the block was incredible. <br /><br />This was one hell of a storm cell. It was passing north of us when I told Ann that it looked nasty and to check to tube for more information. You have seen the rest.

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer

We had one touch down in a little town of Viola about 45 south east of la crosse. No one was killed but lots of lives turned completely over

jspitzer

Cadet

we were out camping over the weekend no tornados that i'm aware of but a camper had a tree fall on it. They seem to be ok, the guy was hit in the arm by a branch and got brused up a bit. his wife says she is done camping.bad thing those storms all you can do is hold on to your butts and hope for the best.