Marsden Smart Interrupt

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Why not just fix what you have using oem parts? I see new stuff all the time various websites. There are many with old boats and drives that shift just fine.

I had never heard of that marsden deal before your post. Just my opinion but it seems mickey mouse to me , theres no way I'm having a "usb powered" anything in my engine bay, let alone in control of my shifting.

If you post on here about your shifting issues , I guarantee the peeps on this forum can help you get it shifting great

iflyrvs1

Recruit
Seems like the original system was dependent on a lot of things to line up right to work. One switch to kill the motor and another to make sure it relights in case the system doesn't work right. This system appears to be all electronic and doesn't need all the shift gear to be aligned perfect to work.

PITBoat

Petty Officer 1st Class
I might be misunderstanding something, but I'm not sure how you fix out of whack mechanicals (if that's what you mean by shift gear) with electronics, or a better interrupt method.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
This system appears to be all electronic and doesn't need all the shift gear to be aligned perfect to work.
There are no electronic gadgets in the world that can fix that .

The prop spinning In the water creates all kinds of pressure on the gears and the original interrupt system simply stalls the engine for a second to relieve that pressure while you shift out of gear.

What drive do you have by the way ?

If it's an omc 800 I can help , if its a cobra there are folks that know more about those than I .

Last edited:

PITBoat

Petty Officer 1st Class
I 'fixed' my worst problem (coming out of Fwd) partway through this last season by just turning the thing off before pulling it out of gear, since that's usually about to happen anyway. I finally get the shifting with two fingers to happen like that, lol. Don't know why I didn't think of it before. Can't always do it that way, but seems like a good idea when I can. All else is good - into both gears and outta Rev.

I'm gonna look closer at my shift rod height next time the drive's off, and have another go at the cable adjustments.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
when you take out your dog clutches because instead of fixing the problem you are looking to chinesium made crap for the fix...... you are on your own

very little is needed to adjust a stringer. best videos on TC Electronics web site (sterndrive.info)
a good cable and following the later service bulletins is required for a cobra