maritime museums around the country

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: maritime museums around the country

I recently spent a night on the Battleship Massachusettes with the cub scout pack in Fall River Mass. They have several WW2 vintage era ships and subs there. I had a blast.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Norfolk Virginia has a good one. The USS Wisconsin is tied up next door, too!<br /><br />San Francisco has another good museum.<br /><br />Baltimore's Inner Harbor has the USS Constellation, the tall ship. A vintage USCG cutter, a WWII Sub and a lightship.<br /><br />Charleston SC has a neat display of ships,<br /><br />And New York has the USS Intrepid.<br /><br />Those are the ones I've been to with the kids.<br /><br />Jinx

NYMINUTE

Captain

Manitowac, Wisconsin. Great sub tour. Very nicely done. Must see in the Midwest.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) San Diego has the aircraft carrier "Midway"<br />they have simulater modules; head phones with areas of interest, click on the # section and they tell you about the area that you are standing in!!! <br /><br />Anybody over 6'tall must have had a couple of head concussions, ceilings are very low!!! ;) :cool:

Link

Rear Admiral

Great idea roscoe!<br />We have been to 20 of the "I think" 28 here in WA state. One (and a great one) in Vacouver Canada and several in Oregon. In 1998 when the Endevouer (sp) "tall sailing ship" was docked in Gig Harbor we missed getting aboard so we followed it up to BC a few weeks later. <br />In Hawaii they have a Polynesian Maritime museum. If you can get past the "We were/are at one with Mother Earth" Crap its a pretty good tour about sailing canoes and the vedio WayFinders a Pacific Odyssey is worth buying.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello there is a suberb one in newport news VA, its part of the hunnington park complex deal. they alsohave some parts from the monitor as well as working models of steam reciprocating and turbines. the one near bath maine is good. the wisconsin would be better if they allowed more interior acess. the USS alabama in mobile is good and there is a good one someplace near chicargo that has a sub. all are worth seeing. also the petting Zoo in Racine WI was a wonderful place. I often wonder if its still there. if anybody knows if it is let me know :) <br />wasnt to far from oshkosh and the airplane races :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

nyminute, you been to Manotowoc and toured the Cobia? it is a nice setting, isn't it.<br />Nice fancy hotel nextdoor too, 24 hour pool and sauna. :) <br /><br /><br />rodbolt, I was at the Racine zoo when I was too young to remember it. It is a bit of a drive from Oshkosh, about 120? miles to the south east. Its still there, and still free, everyday but Christmas. Click on the "about the zoo" tab.<br /><br /> http://www.racinezoo.org/ <br /><br />The Milwaukee County zoo is one of the tops in the country, often compared to the San Diego zoo. And in the summer months, they have a childrens/petting zoo area with all the baby animals. Well, not the fish or the bats. :) Smack dab in the middle of the zoo is Lake Evinrude. Hmmm, I wonder who made a big donation to the zoo?<br /><br /> http://www.milwaukeezoo.org/