mariner wont take off

fierro

Cadet
Hi my name is bert.I have a problem with trying to get out of the water.I sometimes have a rough idle,but when i throttle up it bogs down and dies.It will generally take off after about 5 times.oh it is a mariner 150.I have tried plugs checking for fire. I am out of things to try. :confused:

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: mariner wont take off

Has it been sitting for any length of time, like a couple of years? My boat does this to this day even after doing everything posible. (Merc 150).<br /><br />I have done it all from fuel pump to carb rebuild. If I hammer it real hard it will take right of and run fine throughout the entire RPM range, but I cant ease into it at all. Im getting ready to change out the reeds and rejetting, we will see if that does it. <br /><br />It sure could be the fuel pump though, as well as dirty fuel filter or carbs. Even bad gas could do it. Mine had the problem when I bought it, butit had been sitting for a couple years and I thought it was just bad gas. (Wrong)!

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

It sure appears to be a fuel starvation issue,also check the fuel lines for air leaks.

fierro

Cadet

I have also changed the pressure bulb and filter. when you pump it up,should the bulb stay hard .whenever i pump it up it never really gets real hard.Is that normal.

fierro

Cadet

my fuel pump has a #35-41518 on the housing .Is this the right # for the rebuild kit.It is a 1985 mariner 150.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by fierro:<br /> I have also changed the pressure bulb and filter. when you pump it up,should the bulb stay hard .whenever i pump it up it never really gets real hard.Is that normal.
It should get so hard that you cant pump it anymore. may take quite a few pumps to get there, maybe 10 if it hasnt been run for a few days. You might try and see if someone pumps the bulb while you are trying to take off if it makes a difference.

lmoreau

Seaman

This sounds bad when written:<br /><br />When I pump my bulb several times, it gets really hard..hard enough that you can barely pump it anymore...if you try to pump it past that point, gas leaks out from around the fittings.<br /><br />It should be pretty hard...not hard like concrete, but very firm.

fierro

Cadet

Hey guys,I have another question.I run a compression test on my engine all cylinders run at 95 psi.Is that good for a boat engine.I ran the engine with the muffs and the water barely trickled out.I then reved it up and a full stream poured out.Then back to an idle barely nothing.If its the water pump is there alot involved in installing it.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by fierro:<br /> Hey guys,I have another question.I run a compression test on my engine all cylinders run at 95 psi.Is that good for a boat engine.I ran the engine with the muffs and the water barely trickled out.I then reved it up and a full stream poured out.Then back to an idle barely nothing.If its the water pump is there alot involved in installing it.
My 150 Merc has comp of 120#s, you might be a bit low. Also, if you dont know when the inpeller was changed last, its time. Its not difficult to do, get a manuual.

fierro

Cadet

I just read the compression test steps on another post.I left the plugs in and went one cylinder at a time,and with a cold engine .Does this really make that much difference.Maybe my compression might come up this way.