Mariner wiring harness question

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer
I fired up the motor that mrmerc had sent me the controls for (thanks again bud), and it started right up. However, there's a couple of wires on the motor end that I could not figure out, even with the schematic from the manual. Next to the large motor connector, there are 4 small wires that come out from it too. 2 go to the remote trim/tilt, but there is a brown/white tracer and a tan wire that I cannot find anything to connect it to.<br /><br />From an earlier (tach related) post, it looks like the brown/white tracer should go to a trim guage sender and the tan wire should go to a temperature guage.<br /><br />Is it OK just to leave these wires unconnected, since I'm 99% sure my motor does not have either of these sensors?

omctech

Seaman
Re: Mariner wiring harness question

You are correct seadawg. More tomes than not, riggers will not hook up these wires, as they are almost exclusively used on bass boats.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you are right, seadawg...leave em unhooked...

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys. Yea, this motor is an upgrade for me, I bought it used from a guy that went from 50 HP Mariners to 90 HP Suzukis. All I lack now is getting in my steering cable, and I'm ready to hit the water. the water is still in the mid 40's, even in Delaware. And the stripers are still biting too.<br /> <br />The original motor owner had these 50 HP Mariners as a twin setup on a 22 ft. Sea Cat. If anyone is interested, I have 2 1996 complete 20 ft. wiring harnesses (key switches, no cut wires, etc.), 2 6000 rpm tachs, 4 18 ft. Mercury throttle/shift cables, and a dual control Quicksilver throttle body (dash mount) unit, with built in trim tilt for each motor. All is in very good shape, that's why I bought both motors from the guy, even though I can only use one on my boat. (I'm keeping the 2nd motor through the summer, just in case I have a problem with the one onthe boat).<br /><br />E-mail me at seadawg007@hotmail.com if you want me to send you a picture of the controls. I doubt I will put it on E-bay, I'll probably try to sell them locally first.